Chapter forty

"Ayesha?" Amir's voice broke her from her trance, he slowly switched on the lamp and she flinched and so did he.

There was his sister, who was suppose to be a wedded. Blushing and eyes shining. But here she was in a pale blue nightgown, her eyes hollow and dark with pain, her lips red with dryness, her hair unkept and turned in a Nest, her collar bone jutted out almost all way out. She looked indeed lifeless.

The lights blinded her, it was brought more pain. She thought she deserved no more light that from that day onwards her life would be going in darkness. But her brother stepped in and switched the only source of light in her along with the lamp.

"Let's eat" he said pulling a bowl of cereal from the tray and Ayesha shook her head. "It's your favorite, fruit loops" he said with a smile and yet she shook her head and Amir noticed the few tears the ran down her cheeks.

"Ayesha, I highly doubt Imran would want to see you like this" Amir said with a grin as wide as he could muster.

Ayesha's head jerked at the sound of his name and she stared into her brothers eyes trying to find any hint of lie, any hint of hesitancy or sorrow but no, she failed.

There weren't any darkness or sorrow or pity or anything but happiness in his eyes.

"He survived" Amir whispered putting the bowl aside and taking his sisters hand in his.

"He survived" he repeated.

Ayesha Wouldn't believe it, he knew, she wouldn't and couldnt believe before she sees him with her own eyes. And that was why Amir was here.

"We leave in five or maybe ten depends on how long you might take to dress but we leave when you leave the room. Make it quick" he said and placed a kiss on his forehead and moved out the door.

Ayesha moved form her bed and opened wide her closet and took the first abaya and hijab that came to her hand. She did not bother with the ironing or anything at all, she did not have to strength to do so.

With a sigh, she moved out of her room for the first time in days. With her head low she walked down the stairs and heard her mum suck in a breath.

"My child" she said and pulled Ayesha into her embrace tears staining her cheeks.

"Mum" Ayesha croaked and held her mum.

Fathima broke away from her daughter a few minutes later and sat her on the dining room. She placed a glass of warm milk just as how her daughter liked and demanded her to drink.

Ayesha was hesitant at first but then she saw the pain in her mum's eyes, in Amir's and dads so for the sake of her family she gulped it down.

The first sip of something that was not water and it burned her.

"Shall we?" Amir asked once she had drowned the milk into her mouth. Ayesha nodded, she couldn't speak.

Even as she got Into the car and drove to the hospital it felt unreal, even as the car halted and Amir parked it and took her towards the entrance she didn't believe. She didn't believe even as she stood before his room contemplating weather she should enter or not.

Her heart thudded as she stood outside the door, her hands quivered as she placed them on the nob.

"Do it" Amir said quietly, he did not want to pressure her and give her the time she needed but she needed a slight push and he just gave her that.

Pulling in a breath she did as told and the door swung open revealing Sara at first then aunt Layla and her spouse, they all smiled at her but that was not what hitched her breath further, that was not what put her heart out in running a marathon.