Chapter 8

Before all of this, before the hundred years and Aang's disappearance, I used to accompany some of the monks when they'd go selling trade from time to time. It wasn't often, and used more as a way to introduce us to different cultures, but I always enjoyed it. 

We'd sell only what we cultivated around the temples, crops and the likes. Each time we'd go out, the monks would introduce me to new people. I remember visiting the South Pole once. The people were so friendly and more than happy to trade with us as crops were harder for them to grow. I remember the boys were handsome, I suppose in that way Sokka was as well, and the girls vibrant and there were so many! Bending was rife and their culture was beautiful. 

The next time they took us to Ba Sing Se and if there was ever a shock to the system it was that place. Busy streets with constant activity, voices shouting in different languages, and people seemed to be always in a rush. 

I didn't really like Ba Sing Se, but it wasn't my place to judge the city. 

After that, we visited a Fire Nation Village. It was a small little thing and the people living there seemed more like family than anything. There were plenty of firebenders and they all seemed warm in their manners and passionate in everything they did. The others my age seemed more than happy to be around me and for once the monks let me run off and play with them. 

As I got older, my role moved to being in the temple and the younger ones needed to see the world. But the Fire Nation continued to be my favourite always and I always remembered the people I'd met there and the passion they had and kept it close to me. 

While the fire benders on this ship were passionate, it wasn't quite the same. The ship was all harsh metal and cold, and the people seemed to be the same, except for Iroh of course. The people moved quickly to where they were going and never seemed to bother exchanging pointless words; I missed the warmth these people used to show. Were all fire benders like this now?

Mr Iroh (sensei Iroh? Master Iroh? Sir Iroh? None seemed to work) wouldn't let me waste away on my own in the bottom of the ship. He argued that I couldn't exactly escape, we were in the middle of the ocean, and I didn't have my glider to fly off on, so they untied my hands and let me sit up top with them.

I wasn't allowed to leave Zuko and Iroh, and so I stood and enjoyed the fresh air I was being offered and imagined I was travelling on market day. 
"There is a storm coming. A big one," Iroh informed us both. 
"You're out of your mind, Uncle," Zuko stated. "The weather's perfect. There's not a cloud in sight." 

And really, Zuko was right. I wouldn't have ever guessed a storm was coming, but I knew to respect the wisdom of those older than me. 
"A storm is approaching from the north," Iroh continued, "I suggest we alter our course and head southwest." 
"We know the Avatar is travelling northward, so we will do the same." 

"Of course, that's what matters here," I snorted, leaning against the railings. "Not the storm coming."
"There isn't a storm coming," Zuko hissed back, "look around you!" 
"Mr Iroh knows more than both of us, so excuse me if I want to trust him over you," I shot back. 
"You just want me to stop searching for the Avatar!" 
"Yeah, that would be nice!" 
"Well it won't happen!" 

"Prince Zuko," Iroh stopped us with one word, "consider the safety of the crew." 
"The safety of the crew doesn't matter!" Zuko exclaimed as Lieutenant Jee walked passed. Zuko's expression lost some of its severity, but still he added, "finding the Avatar is far more important that any individuals safety." Zuko then stormed off.