Chapter 6

Camp was set and I was finally getting into the swing of things; settling up camp and helping around. I'd always offered my help as much as possible, but now I was actually decent at the things they wanted me to do. 
"Where's Momo?" Aang asked, before we heard a screech. We followed the sound, finding Momo stuck in a cage swinging from the trees. "Hang on, Momo!" Aang instructed, before airbending to rescue him. Unable to leave the other animals, Aang and I quickly helped the others out. Before we could ever start, Sokka cut them down with his boomerang. 
"That works." 

Sokka knelt by the trap set on the grounds to examine them. "These are Fire Nation traps, you can tell from the metalwork. We better pack up camp, and get moving." Moving quickly, we packed up camp and loaded them onto Appa. 
"Uh uh. No flying this time," Sokka instructed. 
"What? Why wouldn't we fly?" Aang questioned. 
"Think about it," Sokka answered, "somehow Price Zuko and the Fire Nation keep finding us. It's because they spot Appa, he's just too noticable."

"What?" Katara said, "Appa's not too noticeable!" 
Sokka pointed dramatically at Appa. "He's a gigantic fluffy monster with an arrow on his head! It's kinda hard to miss him!" 
"Sokka's just jealous he doesn't have an arrow," Aang comforted Appa.
I tickled Appa under the chin, "he's not one of us, is all."

"I know you all wanna fly," Sokka conceded, "but my instincts tell me we should play it safe this time and walk." 
"Who made you the boss?" Katara sassed. 
"I'm not the boss, I'm the leader," Sokka corrected.
"You're the leader? But your voice still cracks," Katara teased. 
In perfect timing, Sokka's voice cracked, "I'm the oldest, and I'm a warrior, so," he deepened his voice, "I'm the leader."

"Actually, I think I'm older," I interrupted. 
"If anyone's the leader, it's Aang," Katara decided, "I mean he is the Avatar."
"Are you kidding? He's just a goofy kid!" Sokka argued. 
Aang, who was hanging upside down from Appa's horn, agreed. 
"Why do boys always think someone has to be the leader?" Katara wondered, looking to me. "I bet you wouldn't be so bossy if you kissed a girl." 
"I've kissed a girl, you just haven't met her," Sokka insisted. 
"Who? Gran-Gran? I've met Gran-Gran." 

Sokka threw his arms in the air. "No! Besides Gran-Gran. Look, my instincts tell me we have a better chance of slipping through on foot, and a leader has to trust his instincts." 
"I grew up surrounded by boys from the ages of babies to teenagers, normally their instincts suck," I informed him, gaining a half glare half pout. 
"We'll just try it his way, oh wise leader," Katara drawled. 
"Who knows? Walking might be fun," Aang smiled. 

Not that long later, Aang was eating his words. "Walking stinks! How do people go anywhere without a flying bison?" 
"Well I don't know, Aang. Why don't you ask Sokka's instincts? They seem to know everything," Katara sassed. 
"Ha ha, very funny," Sokka retorted. 
"I'm tired of carrying this pack," Aang complained. 
"You know who you should ask to carry it for a while?" She continued. "Sokka's instincts." 
"That's a great idea. Hey, Sokka's instincts, would you mind-" 

"Okay, okay, I get it." Sokka stopped them. "Look guys, I'm tired too. But the important thing is that we're safe from the-" we stepped through bushes only to see exactly what we were avoiding. "-Fire Nation."

We'd somehow found a camp site full of Fire Nation soldiers. Wonderful. 

"Run!" Sokka ordered, only for us to turn and come face to face with another fire bender. "We're cut off!"
"Sokka, your shirt!" Aang warned. I turned to spot his shirt smouldering, only for Katara to put it out. 
"If you let us pass, we promise not to hurt you," Sokka bargained. 
"With that entrance?" I mumbled. 
"What are you doing?" Katara whispered. 
"Bluffing," he answered just as quietly.