03. New York

They had settled down on the jet. Jamie and Caden resting in one of the many side rooms. Steve was avoiding Iris at all costs. So Iris sat with Nat, twisting her hands in her lap.

"So what are you so afraid of? Back home in New York?" Nat asked stretching back in the chair.

"I spent my early life fighting alongside Steve. And that caused me to lose everything. I nearly lost my son. I'll protect my children at all cost, why should I throw them into all that danger when I can protect them?" Nat stayed silent.

"I can ne--"

"Have kids?" Iris interjected. Nat nodded. "I know. I read all about the red room." There was a soft pause. "I'm sorry. It's an opportunity that everyone deserves the choice to live through." Nat nodded forcing a smile.

"Its okay. The guy I'm into cant have kids either?" Iris smiled. "So it works out." Iris nodded. "Anyway, what did Hydra do to you? If you dont mind me asking..."

Iris laughed. "Not at all. I have increased stamina, agility and the ability to control the elements." She said counting them off on her fingers.

"Oh.. i haven't heard of that experiment before." Iris nodded.

"All the other test subjects died." Iris said meeting Nats gaze. Nat offered a smile, and Iris returned it. Iris turned away sensing this was the start of a good friendship between her and the assassin.

~~~

The jet landed, Steve stepped out, a deep frown on his face. Iris had Jamie on her hip, Caden stood at her side. "Mommy." Jamie said softly.

"Yes sweetie." She answered distracted as she watched Steve talk to Tony Stark.

"I'm not sure I want to meet Daddy." She said carefully.

"Why not?" Iris asked, as she glanced at Nat who was talking to who she recognised as Hawkeye.

"Because I love you and Caden. No one else!" She said it proudly.

"No darling, your gonna love Daddy I promise. But I'll be there if you want." She nodded burying her head further into your chest. Caden slipped his hand into yours. Tony approached.

"Hello, there. Now I must admit having it on with two super soldiers is pretty impressive." Iris managed a smirk.

"More than you've had then Stark?" He laughed.

"Maybe. Steve called ahead I've got some rooms set up for you." He looked at Caden. He winked as he turned to lead you away. Caden smiled.

"He's cool. Iron man was always my favourite." Caden whispered to his mom. Iris laughed.

"I know, dont tell him that though. His ego is big enough as it is." Caden nodded. Iris ruffled his hair as she followed Tony. The tower was certainly impressive she couldn't argue with that. The suit Tony had set up was amazing. Three bedrooms, all neat crisp sheets. And simple white and grey decor.

"Wow." Iris said as she put Jamie on the floor. She ran to the fluffy rug laughing as it tickled her toes. Tony smiled warmly at her. He crouched down to her level.

"In the room over there, there's some toys for you." Exctied she ran off to see. Iris folded her arms.

"I didnt take you as kiddie person." Tony shrugged. Caden lingered by his mom. "Go follow your sister." Iris pushed. He nodded and ran over to her squeal of delight.

"Do either of them have any powers?" Iris sighed.

"Caden had his Dad's strength. And Jamie's too." Iris said rubbing her arms. Tony smiled weakly.

"Steve's pretty mad." He stated.

"You would be too. If someone kept your son from you." Tony nodded but said nothing.

"I'll leave you to settle in. I'll go see what happening and come and get you." Iris thanked him and lay on the bed. Jamie came back in talking rapidly about the toy she'd found. Iris nodded along but her hand were clasped in her lap.

Her nails digging so deep in her skin they left dents. Jamie giggled as Caden made the toy kiss her nose. Iris managed a small smile. "Miss Holloway." A automated voice said.

"What the hell?" Iris said jumping up.

"I'm Friday, Mr Starks personal AI. He wanted me to alert you that Mr Barnes is waiting in the main room to see his daughter." Jamie's face fell.

"Mommy I dont wanna go." She began to cry. Iris scooped her up.

"You okay here baby?" Caden nodded.

"Might take a shower." Iris nodded. She walked out the room trying to sooth her daughters cries.

"Dont cry. Its gonna be fine sweetie. He's really nice." Jamie tossed in her arms.

"All my dreams I'm in trouble because of him." This made Iris tense.

"But in your dreams I wasn't there was I?" Jamie shook her head. "Well I would be there, so i would stop it." Jamie seemed to contemplate the thought and agreed as she calmed slightly, her grip on Iris' shoulder loosening slightly. Iris shouldered the door open.

Her breath caught in her throat as she saw Bucky for the first time in three years. He turned round wide eyed at the two of them. "Mommy?" Jamie said quietly. Iris gulped snapping her head to her. "Can I have you ring? It calms my nerves." Bucky listened, his heart breaking ever so slightly.

Iris nodded slipping the ring off her finger and giving it to her. "Dont lose it, it means a lot to me." Iris said with a gentle smile. She placed her daughter on the floor. Jamie shyly looked up at Bucky. After a few minutes of awkward silence Iris spoke. "Why dont you tell you Daddy about our chickens?" Jamie beamed.

"We have...umm..six chickens. And they poop eggs." Iris giggled. Bucky smirked. "And we eat the eggs...wait.." she paused, a horrified look coming onto her face. "Mommy! We've been eating bird poop!" Iris laughed.

"Not quite sweetheart." Jamie relaxed. Bucky twitches his metal arm. Iris frowned, feeling slightly guilty.

"Did you name your chickens?" Bucky asked. Jamie nodded.

"Betty, Cookie, Cluck, Bobby, Feathers....and..."

"Quakers." Iris finished, Jamie nodded brightly. "You love them dont you?" Jamie nodded. She held out the ring to Bucky.

"This is my mommy's ring. I really like it. She never takes it off normally. She said when I'm older I can have it." Bucky smiled at the sight of it. He looked up at Iris.

"That the same one Steve gave you?" She nodded stiffly. Jamie walked back to her mom hiding behind her legs.

"Momma?" Iris crouched down. "I want to go back now." She whispered. "I'm too scared, his arms shiny." Iris nearly cried at her fear.

"Okay." She said. "Do you remember which room it is?" Jamie nodded. "Go on them honey. I'll be there soon." She skipped off still clasping the ring. She stood up and faces Bucky. "I'm really sorr--"

"No." He said with a weak smile. "You did the right thing. Me and Steve didn't do you right, well the winter soilder didnt anyway. You were right to hide the children away. Keep the safe. I just wish she would trust me." He said, Iris sighed.

"Give her time. They've been through a lot them kids." Bucky nodded sadly. He missed his best friend, but he sensed Iris had changed. She wasnt the girl he known or even the women he'd loved. She was now Iris Holloway, single mom of two.

It was his own fault, Steve's too. They should have looked after their best friend.