Chapter 49 One Wave After Another

Start from the beginning

They had half expected Shui Ruolan to become a nun out of shame, which she eventually did not. Even so, Qin Huaiyong would feel so guilty towards Mrs. Qin, that even if he wanted to keep Shui Ruolan in the family, he would make her a concubine.

“What then should we do next?” asked Mrs. Qin, who was clueless.

“Rest assured, Madam. I’m sure the general would not spring into action straight away,” said Nanny Zhou who tried to comfort Mrs. Qin, as her eyes twinkled as if she suddenly thought of a good idea.

“Why?” asked Mrs. Qin.

“Madam, so many things happened in our manor lately and our reputation is at rock bottom now. How would people look at the general if he were to take in another wife, who was a widow, at this moment? Would people not say that he was a lustful man? How could he still think about taking another wife when his daughter had just got into big trouble. His prospects would be greatly affected if news of him taking another wife in at this time.”

Nanny Zhou had accompanied Mrs. Qin and was originally a maid from Duke Yong’s house, so she more or less knew something about politics.

Those officials usually were very concerned about their good reputation. It was really not a wise thing to do to take in a new wife while so much chaos had happened in the General’s Mansion.

“But… after a while, he would still harden his heart, and go ahead with the marriage arrangements,” said Mrs. Qin, frowning and looking upset.

Before she married Qin Huaiyong,she did not think much of him. However, after she married him, she had concentrated her attention to making sure everything worked well in Qin Mansion. While she scrambled for power, she could not take it that Qin Huaiyong was going to take another wife. She was the daughter of a high ranking official from the capital city, who was this Shui Ruolan who wanted to be equal with her.

”At least during this period of time, we can make some plans. Don’t try to argue with the general at this moment, Madam. This is no reason to rush. At the very least, we’ve to wait until the matter concerning Elder Miss Qin to calm down first. Given we have so much time on our hands, it wouldn’t be difficult to deal with Miss Shui.

Nanny said with a menacing tone.

Nanny Zhou’s words indeed calmed down Mrs. Qin, who nodded and said, “Alright, we will let that slut enjoy for a few more days.”

“Way to go, Madam, this is how you should tell yourself, that it does not do any good to argue with the general after so many things had happened!” Nanny Zhou said purposefully.

Mrs. Qin had left a foothold for Qin Huaiyong with regards to both Shui Ruolan and Qin Wanru. Although there was no solid evidence yet, however, all that had happened pointed to Mrs. Qin , so it was not the right time to argue with Qin Huaiyong.

“So what if I try to contradict him? Would he divorce me?” questioned Mrs. Qin, gritting her teeth, as she continued, “I am the precious daughter of Duke Yong. If not for… sigh, why did I marry such a useless person?”

“Madam,although I don’t expect the general to be upset over these matters in the past, he was really upset this time. If he were to tell this to the people outside the family, you would definitely be deemed as the party who had done wrong,” Nanny Zhou tried to remind her with a hint. Then she continued with her warning, saying, “Madam,dodon’t ever mention the things of the past which we’ve done. Those had to be kept the secret with you!”

“I won’t tell,” replied Mrs. Qin, nodding. She then went back to her chair, drank a few big gulps and putting down the water, she said, “Nanny Zhou, I supposed you can help settle Wanru’s maid and servants. Tale away whoever she claimed to be unsuitable, lest she uses this to provoke the general to the anger.”