Chapter 5

I arrive to the activity room and its quiet. They'res tables and a t.v. hung up in the corner of the room. I look around and see a few older people and some people my age.

Dylan is standing behind me waiting for me to do something,but as i'm looking around somebody catches my eye. It's a guy in the back by himself playing cards. He had a lip and eye brow piercing, he appeared to be lanky with multi-colored hair.

"Who's that?" i ask Dylan pointing to the boy in the back.

"Uhm, that's Ryan I think. Why do you ask?" he says nervous.

"I don't know really. He just looks lonely. Should I go say hi?" I ask Dylan.

"Uh sure,go ahead. I'll pick a game to play." he says waving his arms.

I slowly and cautiously walk up to the boy. I stand infront of his table,he slowly starts to look up.

"Who are you?" he asks with an attitude.

"I'm Riley, I just wanted to say hi" i give him a small smile and sit down next to him.

"Did I say you could sit there." he speaks with an accent that I hadn't noticed previously.

"Did I ask?" I shoot back. He raises and eyebrow and smirks.

"I'll give you that. So what compelled you to come over here?" he asks me

"I don't know maybe it was your flamboyant hair." i tease him

"You haven't even known me for 5 minutes and your already ragging on me." he smiles. His teeth are straight and perfect and he has green eyes.

"I guess so. Well I have to head back to my friend you're more welcome to join me." i tell him.

"I'd rather not, thanks though." he looks down.

"Oh well okay. Oh and I never caught your name."

"Mikey."

"Well see you around Mikey." I wave and walk away to find Dylan.

"I sure hope so." Mikey says

I find Dylan and he has a box labeled checkers. From my angle I see Mikey and I look at him. He looks at me and Dylan and raises and eyebrow followed by a smirk. I just shrug with a smile tugging my lips. He winks and laughs and continues with his cards.

"So how was it?" Dylan asks

"Cool, well I mean he's cool."

"So did you ask him to join?" he asks

"Yeah, I don't thinks he's down with other people. Ya know?" i explain.

"Yeah I do,just be careful,okay?"

I nod,wondering why he seemed so off.

We continue to play and make small talk until we both decided it was boring. We both walked back to the room and Dylan makes his way off to do whatever. Then I hear a knock at the door and I assumed it was Dylan.

It was Mikey.

"Hey Mikey."

"Hey. You wanna hang out for a bit?" he asks.

"Uhm sure?"

"Great!" he grabs my wrists and leads me down the hall.

"Where are we going?" I ask zipping down the halls.

"You'll see." he tells me.

He slowly leads me up two or three stair cases and stops at a door and pushes it open. I walk out and we're on top of the building and it's so high up and so beautiful,as if I'm in a new land,a better one at that.

"It's amazing,right?" Mikey says doing the same as me and staring into the abyss.

"Yeah." I say quietly still amazed that there is such beauty here. I go to sit against a wall and Mikey follows.

"Cigarette?" he says holding the carton out.

"How do you have cigarettes?" I ask him taking one out. I put it in my mouth as he lights it up.

"You'd be suprised at what you can find in counselors desk draws." he smirks.

"You're absolutely insane,you know that?"

"Did you expect to come here and meet anybody sane?" he asks me

"Good point." I tell him

The sun is just setting and the sky is turning from pink to purple and the moon is peaking out.

"It's beautiful up here." I tell him

"Yeah,you don't run into things like this all the time." he says

"You honestly don't." I sigh. I start getting cold from how windy it is up here and goose bumps start to form. Mikey takes his arm and pulls me closer to him.

"So why are you here?" I ask him

"Why is anybody here?" he responds

I lean my head more into his chest

"Cause we're fucked up I guess." I try to answer his question.

"No, everybodys fucked up,we're just fucked up alot more." I smile at his remark because he's probably right.

I felt like I could've stayed there forever but something felt weird. Like this was so wrong and I should feel guilty but felt so right too.