Chapter Thirty Three

Začít od začátku

It was Sherlock and Mary, fighting with the flames of a bonfire to rescue John who was buried inside.

"Yes, of course," Magnussen replied. "Very hard to find a pressure point on you, Mr Holmes."

"Mm."

"The drugs thing I never believed for a moment. Anyway, you wouldn't care if it was exposed, would you? But look how you care about John Watson. Your damsel in distress."

John walked closer to Magnussen, his jaw tight as he spoke. "You... Put me in a fire. For leverage?"

"Oh, I'd never let you burn, Dr Watson. I had people standing by," he stood up. "I'm not a murderer... unlike your wife."

John glared at him with fury.

"Let me explain how leverage works, Dr Watson. For those who understand these things, Mycroft Holmes is the most powerful man in the country. Well... apart from me. Mycroft's pressure point is his junkie detective brother, Sherlock. And one of Sherlock's pressure points is his best friend, John Watson. John Watson's pressure point is his wife. I own John Watson's wife..." he looked over at Sherlock. "I own Mycroft. He's what I'm getting for Christmas."

"It's an exchange, not a gift," said Sherlock as he slid the laptop towards him.

"Forgive me, but I already seem to have it."

"It's password protected. In return for the password, you will give me any material in your possession pertaining to the woman I know as Mary Watson."

"Oh, she's bad, that one. So many dead people. You should see what I've seen."

"I don't need to see it," John interrupted.

"You might enjoy it, though. I enjoy it."

Sherlock gave a nod. "Then why don't you show us?"

"Show you Appledore?"

"The secret vaults? Is that what you want?"

"I want everything you've got on Mary."

Magnussen let out a laugh. He shook his head and patted the laptop with his hand. "You know," he said. "I honestly expected something good."

"Oh, I think you'll find the contents of that laptop–"

"Include a GPS locator. By now, your brother will have noticed the theft, and security services will be converging on this house. Having arrived, they'll find top secret information in my hands and have every justification to search my vaults. They will discover further information of this kind and I'll be imprisoned. You will be exonerated, and restored to your smelly little apartment to solve crimes with Mr and Mrs Psychopath. Mycroft has been looking for this opportunity for a long time. He'll be a very, very proud big brother."

"The fact that you know it's going to happen isn't going to stop it."

"Then why am I smiling? Ask me."

John stepped towards him, his frustration building. "Why are you smiling?"

"Because Sherlock Holmes has made one enormous mistake which will destroy the lives of everyone he loves and everything he holds dear." Magnussen stood up."Let me show you the Appledore vaults."

He lead them through to two large wooden doors. He placed his hands on the handles and turned to the two men.

"The entrance to my vaults. This is where I keep you all."