CHAPTER 46: I'd rather be pecked to death by hummingbirds

Beginne am Anfang

Much to my chagrin, she sashays towards me with her imbecile posse tagging alongside her.

You better have prayed to your gods today, sweetie.

"Look who we found." Veronica crosses her arms over her enormous bust and stares at me through her fake lashes.

"Your brain. I hope?" I quip, inwardly smirking at the way her features harden at my remark.

"I heard about your brother's little debacle." She grins and my fists tighten. "It is so sad, honey. Can we do anything for you?"

"You can get out of my face."

She chortles annoyingly and I grimace at her entire appearance. Choke on your spit, bitch.

"Look, I know you're not in a good position right now. But on the bright side, the soccer team now has a better captain. My boyfriend, Caleb." She giggles like a stupid school girl and I take two long strides towards her, suddenly aware of the crowd gathering and quieting their conversations to listen to the latest piece of drama.

"Last time I checked, he is not your boyfriend. And my brother still is an amazing player than anybody here."

"Well, he isn't yours either, is he?"

"Why did you do it, Veronica?" I ask while gritting my teeth. The slight knowledge that Veronica is the one who landed Jason in such trouble was enough to calm my mind and assure me that my brother could never do such a dreadful thing.

"Do what, Summer?" She innocently blinks and my phantasm of gouging her eyes out is something that my soul finds pleasurable but at the same time, I hate that it is a precarious thing to do. That is if I still want to live my life without ever going to jail.

"You very well know what the hell what I'm talking about. If you have a problem with me, it stays between you and me. What sick part of your brain convinced you to drag my brother in between?"

She smirks but sighs and shakes her head at me.

"I cannot believe you would think such low of me."

"Well, I'm not the only one, you know?"

"Oh really? You really are silly, you know. But okay, let's assume your accusation on me is indeed true. How low do you think I am? I bet not really as low of your mother who ran away on her own family for an illicit affair."

My tongue gets tied as I fumble for words in my head, desperately trying to look for a comeback against her. But I feel languid. She just outed the secret I hold so deep down, and in such a way that anyone could be judgemental towards me.

All of a sudden, the air around me becomes hot and I envision the walls closing in on me, trapping me in their darkness.

"Oh, I heard she's back. What for, might I ask?" I notice her grin and tighten my jaw, crushing my teeth in between.

"Don't utter one more word if you know what's good for you," I whisper, a few inches away from her face. But unlike other times, I did not see any fear in her eyes today. It's like all of a sudden, she has this immensely powerful weapon against me. Angst fills up in me as I realize the information she currently held and I have no clue as to how she knows it.

"Oh, I do know what's good for me. You don't need to spell it out for me. But if you know what's good for you, then stay the hell away from me and Caleb. No need to be like your stupid whore of a mother."

The pounding of my heart, the heat in my cheeks and the crack of a bone, all register in my head as soon as I see Veronica's body slam into the lockers nearby. I push her off them, noticing blood trickling down her nose and tears streaming down her idiotic face.