5. Coal Digger

It was another bliss morning, except from the fact that it was me and Manny had school. I found a cute white blouse and a pair of jeans. The sound of birds chirping outside was relaxing. Me and Manny were downstairs eating breakfast. 'Let's go, buddies. School time.' Jay said to me and Manny. I quickly put a couple of things in my schoolbag and got off the stool. 'Oh, and Gloria, if you want to get together with the girls later, I could just, you know, watch the football game or something.' Jay added.

'That means he wants to watch a football game.' Manny told Jay.

'I'm not talking to you. What are you two drinking coffee for anyway?' Jay asked me and Manny. I shrugged, I just liked the taste of it.

'It's our culture. We're Colombian.' Manny told Jay. I saw Aunt Gloria smile.

'Oh, yeah? What part of Colombia are those French toaster sticks from?' Jay asked Manny, Aunt Gloria looked at Jay from behind the newspaper.

'Babe, I'm not so sure about the game. The whole family's coming over for the barbecue.' Aunt Gloria told Jay. I continued to eat my bowl of cereal.

'That's today?' Jay asked, he really was getting old.

'Sí.' Me and Manny said at the same time.

'It's the Ohio state game.' Jay said annoyedly.

'So? Everybody can watch.' Aunt Gloria said like it wasn't that big of a deal.

'I don't like watching the game...with people who don't know the game. People talk.' Jay said to Aunt Gloria, expressing how important the game was to him.

'You talk at my football games.' Manny told Jay confusedly.

'For one thing, it's called soccer. Your team scored two goals all season. I'm not taking a big risk.' Jay said while walking over to the coffee pot. He lifted it up and it was empty. 'How much of this did both of you drink?' Jay asked us. I didn't have an answer so we shrugged.

'Give us a break. I have to climb a rope today.' Manny said before taking another sip of his coffee. When Jay dropped us off at school everything was going great until recess when Manny and Luke got into a fight. I tried to stop it but instead it looked like I was participating in the fight, especially when the teachers came over and sent all 3 of us to the principals office. Manny was at next to Aunt Gloria and Luke whereas I was in the middle of Aunt Gloria and Jay. I could tell that Aunt Gloria knew that I wasn't apart of it seeming as I was more a peacemaker than a fighter, only unless someone got on the wrong side of me that's when I become a fighter. When Phil and Claire came in Aunt Gloria looked at them.

'What are you doing here?' Claire asked surprised to see us.

'These two knuckleheads were fighting and Y/n tried to stop them but it only made it worse.' Jay told Claire.

'What?' Claire asked shocked about what Jay told her.

'Could've been worse. I was not ready to face Durkas today.' Phil said while closing the door. Claire sat down in the chair next to Luke while Phil sat in the chair closest to the door.

'So what happened?' Claire asked principal Balaban.

'Well, apparently there was some name-calling and shoving on the playground. By the time a teacher separated them, Luke was sitting on Manny's chest.' Principal Balaban told them. I sat with my hands tucked into my jean pockets and my head looking at the ground.

'Luke, that's not like you.' Jay told Luke.

'Wait a minute. You're Luke's father?' Balaban asked confusedly.

'Grandfather. So Manny's father is--' Balaban said while pointing at Phil.

'Javier. Crazy guy. That's where he gets his fire.' Aunt Gloria said to Principal Balaban.