Chapter Ten; Amelia Livingston

Dedicated to yet another one of my amazing friends that I love oh so much.(: She is amazing and I am very thankful for her.

Amelia Livingston:

When I came to in a blown apart car, I was pretty creeped out. I had forgotten, again, what had happened, but it was only for a moment, then it came back to me. I looked over to my left to find Chance trying to find his way out of his car.

"I'm sorry," I whispered to him, softly touching a bad looking gash on his arm. "I-I didn't mean to crash the car."

"I wasn't your fault," He halfway smiled at me. His eyes looked a bit distant, like he was thinking deeply.

We went to help Hayden after we somehow found our way out of the destroyed car. Chance and I didn't have anything broken, just a couple deep cuts that we would survive through. Hayden on the otherhand, was much much worse. On one of his arms, you could literally see the bone. I was grossed out, but Chance seemed fine and he actually healed him. Healed him.

I was shaken up, to be quite honest. I was kinda zoned out when I heard Chance explaining to Hayden what a mission was. How stupid could this guy be? How did I not notice before that he was completely clueless?

"Government selects specific people, teenagers from twelve to sixteen, who might end up in office someday to carry out special tasks. They also pick out two to three others in that age group to go with the leader, which in our case, would be me. For some reason, they picked you. And for some other reason, we're supposed to die, and Amelia must live and become the next queen," Chance concluded, but Hayden was obviously even more confused than he already was.

"Wait, I think I know why..." I ventured.

"Know why what?" Chance looked at me with hope spreading through him like wild fire.

I looked a bit down the road. I saw a figure looking at us, at me. I squinted a bit to get a better look. It was Jonathan. He was just the person I wanted to see. I had to make sure my suspicions were correct.

"First, I have to talk to Jonathan again. I'm sorry, I won't be long. Are you okay with that?" I could see the worry in Chance's eyes.

"Yes. As long as he helps as much as he did earlier, I'm okay with that," Chance kissed my forehead and gave a small smile, which with the lightning flashing around him, was adorable and made me want to be there for the rest of our lives, the smile and scene staying the same. But I couldn't, and I knew it.

I walked towards Jonathan. I smiled at him kindly and he nodded slightly. He gestured to the side of the road, in case a car came. There was a blanket spread out in which Jonathan sat down, so being his guest, I did as well.

I took in our surroundings. He picked a good place to talk. It was beautiful. One of the tree near us must have been struck by lightning a couple years ago, because it was split into to even pieces, but it was still connected at the base, so the two halves drooped perfect to the sides, making it look even prettier than it probably did in its life. The storm raging on, didn't touch the place he picked. It seemed to be enchanted.

"Nice to see you again, Amelia," His smile was warm and welcoming.

"It's nice to see you, too. I'm glad we are getting the chance to talk more, Mr. Rocker. Considering last meeting was so limitted on time," I told him.

"It was, wasn't?" He seemed to go distant for a moment, remembering the time before. "Well, I suppose my son trusts me a tad, since he let you come with me for a while this time."

"I think he's starting to. But that's also because you're helping me, so it's hard not to trust you," I replied, looking back to the boys who were still laying in the middle of the street, both staring at Chance's father and me.

"At any rate, trusting me for that is better than him not trusting me at all," Jonathan sighed and I looked at him with sympathy. "So, moving on. You know, don't you?"

"I believe I do, yes. Something about the healing thing. The power...." I thought deeper and deeper.

"Right," He nodded encouraging me on.

"And you. You could zap us in and out or whatever," I was getting somewhere now.

"Mmm hmm," Jonathan waved his finger in a circle, telling me to keep going.

"Powers! You guys have powers! That's why the government wants you and him dead. You guys can do thing nobody else can," I couldn't believe it, but yet it was too obvious to not understand. "But what about Hayden?"

"The same. All the people in town that are disappearing slowly, they're the ones that have powers. They are normally detected at the ages of missions, but in Hayden and my case, they didn't find out until a little bit later, although Hayden's were closer to the ages than me, but that doesn't matter, it was still late," Jonathan's explaination made so much since now.

"But, Mr. Rocker, why get rid of you guys?" I asked. "Your powers are great. Like, for example, Chance's could be used in a hospital. He has always been interested in the medical field. I don't understand."

"I'm not sure," He frowned a little. "I still haven't figured that part out yet."

I looked back over at the boys. They seemed to be in a heated arguement. I sighed. I knew I had to go fix it, but I was tired of all their fighting. I wished a million times they could at least tolerate each other, even if it was a micro part of them.

"I'll come with you," Jonathan offered, getting up and helping me to my feet. "I won't talk, but another thing both my son and I can do, we can calm people, by words or simply touching them."

"Okay, I would like the help, I suppose," I gave him a half smile and we ran to the boys together.

They were screaming at each other, but I couldn't understand a word either of them were saying, which was stupid.

"Guys..." I started to say.

It turned out, I didn't have to say anything at all. Jonathan walked up to Hayden first, grabbed his shoulder firmly, but somewhat gentle. Hayden was instantly peaceful. Then, Jonathan walked over to his own son, pain filling his eyes. He touched his shoulder, as if he was afraid his son would crumble under his hand and he would never know the truth about his own family. Chance's features became less tense. He looked gratefully at his unknown father, who couldn't meet his eyes.

"Thank you," Both the boys told Jonathan.

"And thank you for helping my girlfriend," Chance added with his cute little half smile.

Jonathan looked a little hurt, but I seemed to be the only one to notice. He nodded a couple of times, then looked to me. His smile returned.

"I'll see you later. Remember what we talked about," And with that, he was gone; disppearred into nothing.

"What did you two talk about?" Chance asked. "And who is he?"

"We talked about what I was about to tell you before I saw him," I said. "And he's Jonathan. A...a good friend of ours. You just don't know it yet."