Chapter 48 - Did I Hear It Right?

Start from the beginning

'You have feelings for Isabella, don't you? I have never seen you friendly with a girl before.' I recognized that it was Evan's voice. This must be about the time when Dave and I were friends. Just thinking about it bring a smile on my face.

'Hmm, well she is indeed worth anyone's attention. She looks gorgeous, is intelligence, comes from a great family. What else do you need? Are you really into her or is she just another toy?' Why did he send me this?

'My business is none of yours. Better keep a distance from us if you don't want your face to be dislocated. What do you fucking need, Evan Watson?' I knew the voice belonged to Dave's. Even if there was doubt, nobody talked to Evan as rudely as Dave did. Well, I can't complain, he had his own reasons.

'It's a pretty simple question, bro. I am certain that you have the answer to it. Do you like her?'

'Oh yes, she is just a toy and nothing else. I am using her for sex and once I have my way with her, I will leave her, like the piece of trash she deserves to be treated like. Do you see this? This is what you have turned me into. A monster. So don't you dare try to poke your nose in my matter otherwise the consequences wouldn't be good.' I gasped.

Did I hear it right?

No. This is someone else's voice.

Dave wouldn't do this to me. Right?

I played the audio again and again but the voice only sounded like Dave's. What- What if this was just a prank? Maybe someone else recorded this in Dave's voice and sent me this. Tears welled up in my eyes and I sobbed. I turned the stove off and grabbed the edge of the counter firmly to support myself.

Let's be positive. I am sure its not Dave who said this.

All sorts of thoughts started to spin in my head and I suddenly felt dizzy. I almost fell on the ground when Dave caught me. I was so caught up in the situation that I didn't even see him coming towards me.

He got a hold of me and made me sit on the chair.

"Bella? You fine? Want me to call you a doctor? Where does it hurt?" He gently caressed my face and looked at me with concern. His breathing was harsh judging from the fact that me nearly fainting instantly got him worried.

"Yeah- Yeah- I am. I am just, you know, lost in thoughts." He gave me a glass of water and I drank it. I looked at Dave for once but quickly averted my gaze since tears threatened to fall again.

"Hey, hey, hey. Look at me. Is this about last night? Was I too rough? If you are not comfortable, you can-" I shook my head vigorously.

"This has nothing to do with last night."

"Then what is it? Did someone say anything to you? You know that you just have to say the name and I will deal with it, right?"

"Will you leave me?" My voice cracked in the end. Gosh, I can't even say 4 words without wanting to cry.

"Huh?" His eyebrows raised in confusion.

"Are you going to leave me?"

"Why would I ever leave you, baby girl?"

There was no use hiding it from him anymore. One day or the other, I will have to ask him. Why delay it?

I took out my phone and played the audio which Evan sent. The minute it started to play, Dave gasped. The fact that he knew what the audio is about was enough of a proof that it is indeed his voice.

The fact that I have been hoping to be wrong.

He looked at me with guilt in his eyes and then went back to listening. After the audio was over, we both sat there in silence. Neither of us spoke a word. I just stared at the blank screen with tears in my eyes while he didn't make any attempt to wipe them. He was in a complete state of shock.