On the large-screen TV, a commercial for cardiac medication finished its list of three dozen horrifying side-effects. The local news logo flashed, and then a blond journalist smiled soberly.

"Welcome back. Again, I would like to advise sensitive viewers about the disturbing content of today's main story. Recently acquitted Michael McFerguson, who had been accused of multiple sexual acts with children, was found dismembered in his home—"

Corman choked, spewing beer across the counter. Unfortunately, the beefy bartender paused in wiping glasses to glance his way. He had to act normal. However, one of the pale, techie patrons with his hair in a bun moved to the stool next to Corman, violating several unspoken rules of conduct in the bar.

He cleared his throat, and Corman swivelled to acknowledge him. The man rapped his knuckles on the wood counter, not quite making eye-contact with him.

"So, uh...how did your expedition go last night?"

Corman froze, throat closed tight. "What expedition?"

The journalist on the TV screen interrupted, "Police are currently searching for two suspects in Mr. McFerguson's murder, a man and woman—"

"With the woman," the man said to Corman.

"What woman?" he squeaked.

The bartender narrowed his eyes at him. "The raven-haired goddess with the gold-medal winning ass."

"Right. Exactly the woman I thought you meant." His nightmare companion was real. Corman's gut turned to ice-water. A distant part of his mind listened to how the murder victim's limbs were arranged decoratively throughout the mansion.

The bartender glared at him. "You did it, didn't you?"

"No," Corman said as his deodorant officially died. "I—we didn't do anything. I went straight home. Absolutely normal."

Behind the bar, the reporter's pale pink lipstick outlined her every word. "There is speculation that the crime was motivated by cult rituals or organ trafficking, as the victim's major organs seem to be missing, along with most of his blood."

The paint buckets...

"Huh. I thought if anyone was going adventuring last night, it would have been you two," bun-man said. "I thought you rolled a natural twenty when she walked straight to you. Looked like she knew what she wanted. Am I right?" This last bit was intended for the other three customers in the bar and they nodded furtively.

One even glanced up from his screen. "Not that we actually know what women want."

"You sure you didn't go where you've never gone before?" bun-man asked. "Sometimes a man's first time can be pretty fast. Maybe you blinked?"

"First time?" A thought sprouted in his mind. "Oh, you mean—did I and the woman, together, first time?"

Relief spread through his body so fast, he almost toppled off his chair. They didn't suspect him of murder. Thank Alan Turing, they thought he got laid!

"Wait," he continued. "How do you know I've never..."

"Oh, we know," the man said. "We all know."

Every other man in the bar pressed his lips together in silent solidarity of Corman's virginity. For the first time in his life, he was thrilled to be talking about it.

"This just in," the journalist said. "Police have now released images of the two suspects, who are aged between twenty-five and thirty-five."

A grainy, black and white recording showed a man and woman walking in the dark. It could be anyone. It could be the woman from his nightmare and himself. He clenched his jaw, suppressing a whimper.

"Although I appreciate their sense of justice," the bartender grumbled, "those two psychopaths should get the chair."

The journalist continued, "From the victim's security cameras, police were able to create these two sketches. We are asking our viewers to call this number with any information—"

Two faces replaced the fuzzy night recordings.

Corman gasped, "Yes!" The faces weren't his or the woman's! Giddy with relief, he pointed. "I saw that guy!"

The instant the words left his mouth, he wanted to slam his head on the bar.

"Where?" the bartender growled. "I'll have the entire police force out looking for him in five seconds."

Not a single good answer came to Corman's mind. When the sketch had popped up, a memory had crashed into his head—that man's face was in his rear-view mirror the night before.

His left butt cheek gave a prickling tingle.

***

Thank you Wattpad Studios for choosing this story - I can't wait to get into this world!!!

Thank you for reading!

I want to thank BrittanieCharmintine for her incredible advice and patience - what a talented friend to have in my corner!!! I also want to thank super-stars   krazydiamond and KellyAnneBlount for their help and support on this wild journey as a writer.

Love and hugs!!!