13

Brielle's ear was infected, but not as horrible as it has been so with amoxicillin in tow, which worked well because Brielle actually likes the flavor of it, they made their way back home. Brielle was playing with her toys on the floor like she normally does when Karen walks into the living room. 

"So Janalynne from SpeakEasy wants to do an interview about your album. She got wind that you're doing GMA and the Today's show on release day, she knows you did Rosie, and you've been in talks with VH1 and MTV. I guess she really wants to interview you." Karen sighs. 

"Speak Easy, isn't that an at-home one...Karen, there is no way I can keep baby toys cleared for that much time." Stevie sighs. 

"I know but you have the den. We can clean up and hide the toys, It's right off of the entrance the only thing she might see is a little baby coat or a pair of shoes...but your den is closer to the front door and it'll be alright, if she asks about the coat and boots you can say they're Jessie's . As for Brielle, Lori can keep her upstairs." Karen explains. 

"She's not going to give up if I say no is she?" Stevie huffs. 

"Well I mean, it's the first album you've done since 1994. I don't count the Dance." Karen shakes her head. 

***

She had frantically cleaned her house but now she was perched by the fire as Janalynne was getting herself comfortable. 

"Hi welcome to Speakeasy. I'm Janalynne White. If you listened to rock music in the 70s and 80s, her sound and her image are probably burned into your brain. That's because Fleetwood Mac were international superstars and their lead singer, Stevie Nicks was their it girl. And her solo career has been equally stellar, Starting with the release of Bella Donna in 1981 and will be continuing with her current release on May 1st, 2000. Trouble in Shangri-La. Critics have called Stevie's new album a triumph of resurgent creativity. Is that what it feels like to you?"

"Yeah, it does."

"What prompted that."

"Well um, I don't know um...I-I-it, it uh reminds me a little bit more of Bella Donna. And I think because I really spent 1975-1981 collecting the songs for Bella Donna even though I was working with Fleetwood Mac all that time. But, I was collecting those songs. So this has been a collection of the right songs for this record. Um, and they are all right. They are all the right ones. All the right ones I wanted so creatively this has been a great thing for me and a great creative journey.

"Now this has been not only a creative fulfillment for you but new creative alliances were formed and I'm thinking now of Sheryl Crow. 

"Right." 

"And you got together a couple of years ago when they asked you to do two songs for Practical Magic"

"Right"

"And obviously it worked out well so you did it again. 

"Right um, Sheryl came into my life though uh, over a movie called boys on the side. Which was probably five or six years ago. That's how I met her. And I did one of her songs on that album soundtrack. Um, When I first met Sheryl I don't think I asked her to produce the record, but we did but we really talked about music and stuff." 

The interview matches the one from Rosie very closely and she just kind of blows over her head, Until Janalynne says something that shocks her. 

"Switching gears here, just because I think that the reason you talk about these years as you refer to them the cocaine years between 19 agh..."

"75 and 85."

"Uh, I think the reason you talk about it is cause I think no one let you know there was really potentially damaging things going on."

"Nobody let us know. In that generation, we really truly thought that it was really okay and that it really wouldn't hurt you. You know it was a recreational drug. And you know it's anything but a recreational drug. It's killing anybody who does it. I managed to get through that ten years and still actually had some creativity you know so that was good. Um going onto the next set of drugs which was the Klonopin and the Prozac, now that was difficult. That was way harder than the cocaine, the brandy, and the coffee. Because that just takes your soul away. That's like your overwhelming feeling of wellness and your overwhelming feeling of calmness leaves you with no soul. SO you just become an uncreative entity and that's what happened to me for eight years."

After Janalynne left Stevie looked at Karen..."Stevie, I didn't know she was going to ask about the drugs but you've been an advocate for that kind of thing for years." Karen shrugs. 

"Karen...it's genetic," Stevie says tears spilling over. 

"You're worried about Brielle." Karen sighs. 

"I'm worried about Brielle." Stevie nods bringing her hands up to her eyes. 

"Stevie, listen to me. Brielle is going to be fine, you are going to make sure of that. I know you will. What you need to do is go upstairs and cuddle your little angel baby alright." Karen smiles as Stevie sniffles and straightens her black quarter length teeshirt and practically sprints up the stairs to her baby's room. 

Lori and Brielle aren't in Bree's room and Stevie slightly panics before she hears her daughter's laughter coming from the master. Stevie walks in and Lori is sitting cross-legged on the bed and Brielle is bouncing on the bed, facing away from the door. Sulamith is also running around and bouncing on the bed. Lori sees Stevie but she immediately brings her finger up to her lips and quickly walks over to the foot of the bed. 

As soon as Brielle is in the air Stevie grabs ahold of her daughter and falls onto her back on the bed. Brielle is laughing perched on Stevie's stomach and Stevie starts tickling her. Lori quickly starts snapping pictures and when the tickling and the laughter die down Brielle kisses her mother's cheek and says "love mama." 

"I love you too sweet girl." Stevie smiles squeezing her daughter tightly and kissing her little head.