5

August 17, 1998 

"Karen, should we be flying like this?" Stevie asks taking the blanket off her three-week-old baby in the little car seat carrier. 

"The doctor said you guys were fine and I know that you want to get settled. You still can't do a whole lot of unpacking as it has only been three weeks but you can at least get her into a permanent routine. She'll be fine and we're flying private. It's literally us and Christine, she's been exposed to us since day one so she'll be fine. And when the pilot says we can take our seatbelts off you can cuddle her and do whatever you need to feel more comfortable with this." Karen explains 

"Stevie, if you're worried about her look at who her parents are." Christine sighs. 

"I guess. I just love her so much and I don't want anything to happen to her." Stevie states leaning over and kissing her little tiny forehead. 

***

When they land at the airport about an hour from their new place of residence, Stevie looks to Christine. "Well I mean, it has to be at least in the low eighties. It's actually quite nice." 

"It is, I think I might come over and hang out in your River, or your pool. I know I have my own but it would be so boring by myself" Christine states.

"Please do...by all means. We won't be joining you as it feels slightly warm for Brielle." Stevie sighs. 

"And that is perfectly fine." Christine grins.

When Karen pulls up to Stevie's gorgeous new home, Stevie turns to her left. Brielle was in the car seat in the middle, and Stevie gently brushed her thumb across her baby's cheek. "Welcome home Brielle." 

Stevie feels a sense of serenity and peace when the three of them walk into her house. The AC is on low making it the perfect temperature she thinks for her baby and she sees that Karen did really well with the set up of the furniture. After the house was bought Karen spent the last half of June and most of July in Michigan getting all three of the homes ready and Stevie even went into the minimal amount of furniture stores in the town before custom ordering all of her furniture from a store named Shunks. 

Stevie collects her child and her dog from the car and unlocks the door with her brand new key she's breathes in and sighs. 

"It smells like Apple Cinnamon." Stevie states. 

"I know, when I was here in that last week of July I burned several candles to try and make it smell slightly more like home. I figured that if I burnt them and as soon as they died out if I locked everything up the scent would kind of linger." Karen shrugs. 

"It's lovely. Karen, it's about 3:30 and I know you probably want to go get yourself settled I know I'm only three weeks into my six-week recovery window but I'll be fine. I'm just going to unpack my clothes and the baby's clothes and diapers. Call my family and let them know we made it alright. If you want to come back around 6:30 with some form of dinner that'd be great. I promise I won't overwork myself." Stevie looks at her. 

"I'll go. I know that you want to spend some time with your baby girl and you want to get acquainted with the house. There's a chain for Sulamith in the back yard. We're not fenced in here and it's only a little way to the water so I wouldn't want to risk anything." Karen explains. 

"Thank you. I'll see you in a little while." Stevie nods. 

"Of course. Next to the phone by your bed and on the fridge, I wrote down the numbers for my condo and Christine's house. I'll bring your luggage upstairs and I'll then I'll be on my way." Karen smiles.