Chapter Four: The Exploded Cauldron

The three boys waited awkwardly outside the Transfiguration classroom with the rest of the first year Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs for only a few seconds after the bell rang before Professor Brachet slowly opened the door to his classroom.

"Inside now, I don't want any talking and nobody is to sit in the back rows" he stated sternly, moving to one side to allow the students inside. Ryan looked around the room, and saw an assortment of odd trinkets, animals in cages and huge bookshelves that lined the walls of the classroom. Ryan located a three seater desk in the second row of the classroom and the three boys sat down and pulled out their textbooks as well as their notepads.

"Welcome to First Year Transfiguration, in this classroom you will learn the noble art of Transfiguration; I will teach you how to turn an animal into a cup, so you have something to drink if you're stuck in the desert and lack the ability to conjure a cup, transfigure a rabbit into flowers to give to your romantic dates or even to give to your mothers. The knowledge you pick up in my class will help you through the rest of your lives, especially if you decided to go further with the subject in sixth years, seventh years and then take it even further. Now, most of the other Professors have stated that my teaching methods are a little unorthodox - but, they all agree with me that they work. Unlike other classes I will not set examinations, except for the end of year examinations and those will just be a total recap of everything that you have learnt since the start of the year." Professor Brachet stated sternly before Andrew's hand shot up like a rocket. "Yes Laft?" He asked, obviously not being shy to answer questions.

"How are you going to mark us if you won't be setting exams?" Andrew asked, Teddy and both Ryan groaned - why did it have to be their friend who asked for an exam.

Professor Brachet smiled, something that looked extremely foreign on his face - he fiddled with the buttons on his vest before he replied. "Ah, I thought this question would be raised as it has been ever since I started teaching at Hogwarts. I will be marking your homework, this way there is actually a real reason to set it as I find that the majority of students who don't hand in their homework; don't hand it in because they believe it has no relevance to how they are marked at the end of the year, you will receive one homework task each term, however each term the homework task is more like an essay."

Andrew looked a little satisfied at the response that there would still be, at least some form of marking scheme for the class. Ryan just thought he wanted to beat Teddy at this class, especially as Teddy had flaunted his success in Charms in Andrew's face.

"Okay, so for today's lesson, there is absolutely no way that we are going to have the time to be able to start the practical work; so we will start practical work at the start of next lesson. Instructions are on the board, please turn to page seventeen of your textbook." He instructed.

The three boys read the chapter, which was on Transfiguration theologies. Ryan found it interesting however the topic wasn't enough to distract him from the impending detention that they would have to do the following night. Ryan sneaked a glance at Professor Brachet, whom was currently rocking on his chair; feet up and reading a book. The lesson didn't fly through like the other classes that they had been it earlier in the day, instead the lesson seemed to have droned on for hours before the bell finally rang. Brachet crossed the room, standing in front of the door to ensure that everyone had attempted the tasks and sending those whom hadn't done the task, or whom hadn't done enough of the task back to their desks to await further instruction. Ryan and the other two boys had been sent back with the others to await Professor Brachet to return too them. Ryan looked around, there was a total of seven other people besides himself including Teddy and Andrew.

"Okay, so I will not tolerate not doing enough of the work in my class, some of you haven't even finished the first question. Tomorrow night all of you will come to this room, and will all be writing lines together. Be here by 6:30pm or you will get another detention." Professor Brachet explained, "you may leave now" he continued sternly.