Chapter 23

Peter's P.O.V

The car slows down to a halt and I jump out, running over the police. I see the kids all hurled up together on the side walk. Some talking to the police and others just sitting quietly. I see Peggy and Eli talking with a policeman so I walk up to them.

"Peggy, Eli, what happened? Why are the police here?!"

"Peter?! Oh thank heavens you're alright! Where have you been?! We haven't seen you for about 2 days. The kids thought Mrs. Thomas had done something to you!" Peggy yells at me and I wince a bit at the volume.

"I was at my internship. I had to stay the night since it was too late to go home. But what happened?!"

"Some of the younger kids were scared that Mrs. Thomas had done something to you and... she..." Eli starts but he hesitates a little. "Since you weren't here... Max... he...umm took a hard beating..." That bitch.

"Where is she?! And is Max alright?!" I ask furiously.

"They took her away Pete. She got arrested. And Max is doing alright, though, he did get a lot of bruises, a black eye and a broken nose. He's over there by the ambulance." Peggy explains. Suddenly, someone taps my shoulder and another policeman has appeared and he has a notebook.

"You are Peter Parker, correct?" I nod. "Is it alright if I ask a couple of questions?" I nod again.

"Alright. The kids at the orphanage has told us that you were missing these past 2 days. Where have you been" He asks.

"I've been at my internship. Since I got suspended from school due to an incident earlier this week, I asked my boss if I could come a little earlier, which he told me I could. So yesterday, I had my door locked and was sleeping while the kids got ready for school. Then, later in the morning, I headed of to my internship and I had to stay the night due to it being too late to go home. And I couldn't call anyone becuase my phone is broken." I 'explain'. God, that's actually a pretty good lie. Well, except for the phone. My phone is broken...

"And where do you intern?"

"Stark Industries."

"Kid, this is no time for jokes." The policeman looks at me a little annoyed.

"No really, I intern there."

"What happened here?" We hear a voice say from behind me. I feel someones hand on my shoulder and turn around to be greeted by Mr. Stark. Dr. Strange is next to him and he doesn't look pleased either. I can hear everyone whispering about how cool it is that "Tony Stark and Dr. Strange are here!"

"O-oh! Mr. Stark! How... how come you're here...?" The policeman asks nervously.

"Well, I was driving Peter here, home after a long night at the internship." Mr. Stark answers and I can see he's giving the policeman a fake smile.

"O-oh, I see... *Ahem*... well then, Peter. I only have a couple more questions." I nod. "Were you aware of what Kelly Thomas was doing to the kids." I nod again. "Did she do anything to you?"

"...I was the one who took most of the beatings so she wouldn't hurt the other kids." I mumble, but loud enough for the policeman, Mr. Stark and Dr. Strange to hear. I ignore the expressions Mr. Stark and Dr. Strange make.

"For how long?" I stay quiet for a moment.

"...Since I got to the orphanage... 4 years ago..." I mumble out. I feel Mr. Starks grip on my shoulder tighten.

"Alright. Thank you Peter. That was all the questions." The policeman says with a small smile.

"Sir, what's going to happen to the kids?" I ask.