How it works: Absorbing

I've come to realize that the concept of darkeners Absorbing lightners is a complex thing that should be explained. The big question in this is why Ralsei and Fluffy's absorption was different. Warning, there is definite spoilers in this for stuff way later. Like, early chapter 2 later.

So, there are may things that can contribute to the absorption process. We'll mostly be focusing on control and forming.

The few main contributions are Status, magic, code, willpower, and luck.

Status is for weather the person is alive, dying, or dead.
This explains why Ralsei and Fluffy are so complex. In the beginning of chapter 1, Flowey kills Ralsei and as Ralsei is dying, he absorbs Flowey. Ralsei's dying status along with Flowey's technically dead status (he has no soul) makes it so their easier to mold. It's like that clay that gets easier to mold the more its moved. Ralsei is already pretty soft clay as he's dying and Flowey is a middle ground. Kinda solid but still moldable. Asriel in the pacifist rout is still considered dead so he adds to the mixing pot.

Then, theres magic. I don't have a very good example for magic but it should be obvious. The more powerful the magic, the likelier they're able to be in control.

Code is a more messy thing to deal with. Using Fluffy as an example again, he tends to show a more millicous and violent personality. This is due to the code of Flowey who gateways to Omega Flowey.

Will power is easily explained with Roulx and Kris. Kris felt worthless and was told their choices didn't matter. So be default, Roulx had more willpower. Roulx also has more magic than Kris but that's besides the point.

Then finally, there's luck. Nolle who waaaay later on gets fused with Jevil gets lucky as lightners tend not to be the ones in control. Luck could also be added to Susie and Lancers case as they're surprisingly equal in all forms including magic. Susie just so happened to pull the short straw by being a lightner.

Anyway, that's the best way I can explain the absorption thing. If you have any questions, just ask!

Also, here's a meme for last chapter.