part eleven - call you mine

Start from the beginning

"Are you thinking of me?"

Your eyes widened, "What?"

"I said, do you like your eggs over-easy?" He asked, your face heating up from mishearing.

"Oh, um, whatever you're doing is fine." You nodded, wiping your eyes a bit.

You two ate the breakfast that he made, sitting at the counter and not even mentioning the kiss. It's not that neither of you were covering it up, but you felt like your feelings were out in the open and either of you was waiting for the other to say what this was. It was just hard to believe that everything felt so perfect.

An hour later, you and Tom were sat on the couch, watching the rest of the Cubs baseball highlights until the front door's lock turned and your heads both looked in that direction. The big, wooden door opened to Tom's mom with Hazel on her hip and Hazel's head was leaned against her shoulder.

"Hey. Is she okay?" Tom asked, both of you getting up to meet Tom's mom in the middle.

"No, she's got the flu and a fever of a hundred and one. She's so tired so I think we're gonna head home. I don't want her getting anyone else sick." She ran her hand over Hazel's light brown, glossy curls.

"I can help pack anything." You pitched in and his mom nodded.

"Yeah, that would be nice. You and Tom can gather her things and put them in her duffle. I barely unpacked so, I'm okay, but I'm gonna lay her down for a bit then we're going to head out." His mom explained as the two of you followed her down the hallway. His mom disappeared into her room and Tom turned around to you, his back against the door's frame.

"I'm gonna talk to her for a bit." He told you.

"Okay, I'll start packing." You replied, both of you nodding then going your separate ways.

Tom entered his parent's room, quietly closing the door behind him enough for it to be cracked. He watched his mom gently lay Hazel on the fluffy duvet, her body was like a rag doll and she let out a hurt moan.

"Does dad know?" Tom asked, watching his mom take out her suitcase from her huge closet.

"Yeah, after they go fishing, he and the boys decided to leave as well."

Tom cocked his eyebrow, "What? Why?"

"Well, your brothers want to go to camp with their friends and your father has some business in New York and they said if they could get him out by this week, he could raise his salary." His mom said, huffing as she put her bags by the door.

"Oh." Tom trailed, rubbing the back of his neck.

"I know you love the tradition the most, but Y/N is here and you guys will have fun all week."

Tom's eyes widened along with his eyebrows raising, "We can still stay here?"

"Yeah, of course, honey. You're both responsible and Y/N is a great girl. I trust both of you will be smart."

"Yeah, yeah, of course." Tom gulped.

"..You know what I mean, very very smart decisions. Like using protection.." She hinted and Tom's face scrunched up together.

"Mom, it's not like that. We're not.. together." Tom almost sounding like he was asking a question to himself, wondering if there was a "together".

"I'm just saying. You used to date and.. Feelings can come back, that comes with urges and-"

"Okay, mom, I'm almost twenty-three... We really don't have to go into detail." Tom nervously chuckled, running his fingers through his messy curls.