one

((it was supposed to be a gif but it won't work so enjoy michael and his michael-ness))

+

"Claire!" Montgomery called. The brunette whipped her head around to look at her.

"Oh, hi." Claire walked toward Montgomery through the crowded school hallway. She got shoved a few times, but safely made it next to her. "So."

"So," Montgomery repeated.

"Anything happen lately?"

Montgomery shook her head. "Not much."

"Well, you're boring."

"Thanks."

That's how their conversations normally went. Montgomery would say something, Claire would reply with some sort of insult, and then the process repeats throughout the day. Why Montgomery didn't drop her like a hot potato? The world may never know. Maybe it was because Claire was her only friend. Or maybe it was because she kind of liked her spunk. Montgomery didn't know herself.

"Any more news from that hottie?" Claire asked.

She groaned and sort of laughed. "No."

"What was his name? Luke... Lemmings?"

"Hemmings," She corrected. "And no," she continued, "I haven't." Lie. She had kept tabs with Luke for, what? Three years now? About two years ago, Claire got on her laptop and snooped... She ultimately found "that hot guy" and has asked her about him periodically ever since.

"Okay, fine. It's a shame you two didn't keep it up."

"Mhm."

Montgomery began walking to her locker. She shoved her books in when she got there. She took out her English binder, shut her locker with a slam, and continued to walk. Claire trailed behind her. When they reached the classroom, a ball of paper hit Montgomery square in the face. She groaned, caught the ball mid-air, and hurled it back in the direction of the thrower.

"Ms. Wilson!" Mr. McMin's undeniably upset voice called. Montgomery slowly turned around, partly cringing.

"Yes?" she weakly asked.

He picked up the ball of paper that had originally hit her, but had apparently hit him. He looked at her dead in the eye, staring her down.

"Rough Monday?" she offered, knowing she was already getting a detention slip.

"I'm writing you up, Ms." Montgomery sighed, dropped her binder on a desk, and sat down. Claire sat behind her.

Mr. McMin did as he had promised, and a few minutes later gave her a detention slip. She stuck it in her back pocket and slumped in her chair.

"I'm checking your weekend homework," Mr. McMin announced and grabbed his grade book. He began walking around, checking to see if you actually did it or not. She always thought it was a bit elementary - why doesn't he trust us? But, then again, why would he trust us?

Montgomery had just pulled out her homework and a book when there was a rattling of the doorknob. Seconds later, there was a knock on the thick, wooden door. Mr. McMin sighed, then asked a random student to please open the door for the Tardy. Random Student begrudgingly got up from his desk and walked to the door. He opened the rattling door, letting the person who was outside in. Random Student went back to their seat and sat down.

Tardy slowly walked in, seeming a little nervous and perhaps confused. He (she guessed it was a he by his stride) kept walking, the sounds of his shoes echoing throughout the silent classroom. Montgomery never looked up from her book. She heard Tardy stop in his footsteps. He cleared his throat. That was when Montgomery looked up. That was also the moment when her heart leapt into her own throat.

Mr. McMin turned to face Tardy. "Oh, hello."

"Hi," Tardy replied. "I - uh- "

"I know," Mr. McMin cut him off. "Sit anywhere."

Tardy sat - get this - directly in front and a little to the side of Montgomery. And he never even knew.

It was him.

Lhem1996.

"That Hot Guy."

Hemmo.

Luke.

Luke Hemmings.

Montgomery shot her head back, facing her Claire. Worry sprung throughout her face, causing Claire to dryly chuckle.

"Now what?" Claire questioned, chewing on the eraser part of her wooden pencil, filled with teeth marks.

Montgomery forbid to turn around to the front of the bright classroom where he had just strolled in. She matched the face perfectly, and had hoped he couldn't do the same with hers. "That's him."

Claire quirked up her eyebrows in confusement. She had the tiny hint that Montgomery thought he was cute. Otherwise, she wouldn't have made a commotion about it to her. "The new kid? What 'bout him?"

"It's him. The guy from Wattpad," Montgomery confessed. She anxiously bit her tongue, hearing Luke's voice as he spoke to her English teacher.

Claire's jaw dropped open, suddenly aware of the situation. Hot guy. "How much does he know?"

"Everything, Claire!" she whisper-shouted. "He reads all of my works and I've been inboxing him since. He knows more than you and we have been friends for 3 years!"

Montgomery squinted her eyes as she distantly heard his feet tapping the tile. She twisted her head away from the sound, staring out the window as her breath hitched. She never knew it was possible to literally meet an online friend in person.

+

dedicated to claire bc she'll kill me if i don't update :)

i hope you dont mind i used the blurb for the last half of this chapter oops

i just haven't found the time to write nor inspiration to so that's why i haven't updated in a while

anyway mockingjay made me want to stab myself bc pEETA