Chapter 1 - The Tale Begins

"You have to talk to her, you can't keep dragging this on."

"But I can't let her find out what happened, she'd kill me."

"If she finds out what happened we could never face each other again."

"She'd tell the rest of StarFox and I'd be ruined."

"..."

"For fucks sake, why am I so dramatic?"

Slowly, Fox McCloud opened his heavy eyelids, exposing his eyes to the weak rays of sunlight which shone through the uneven blinds of his bedroom window. He could feel his restless nerves calm as the relaxing warmth of Lylat's light shone upon him. As he was still feeling quite exhausted from tossing and turning all night, he stayed buried underneath his covers—watching the now visible dust particles dancing around in their newly formed spotlight. For a brief moment, all of his worries seemed meaningless. Then, a heavy sigh left his mouth as reality hit him once more.

"It's just another shitty day."

The vulpine opened his eyes fully now, his normally adventurous emerald orbs now dull and bloodshot from his lack of sleep. With a tired grunt, he lifted himself upright on the bed and looked to his left—squinting his veiny eyes as he tried to make out the blur of numbers on his alarm clock.

"6:02. Great, looks like I under-slept again." He thought to himself, reaching out to the nightstand that it resided on to grab his glasses.

While 6:00 may have seemed like an early time to get up at on a weekend, he didn't want to bother forcing himself to go back to sleep, as he knew that he would just end up trapping himself in another endless loop of sleeping and waking up every 20 minutes.

Gently, he gripped his fingertips around the arch attaching the two lenses of his frameless glass, then unfolded the arms and firmly set it onto his round snout—the once blurry mess of a room now sharp and clear to his myopic eyes. He then looked to his right, a guilty sigh leaving his mouth as he stared at the vixen who slept peacefully beside him.

"Why can't you just suck it up and tell her already?"

Fox's ears wilted. He hated lying to people, especially to someone he cared about so dearly, but at the same time he had too much to risk telling Krystal the truth. Their relationship crumbling and her feelings being hurt, dealing with the backlash that would come with pressure of being the "Hero of Lylat," the trouble that Star Fox could get into, he couldn't risk any of that happening, though he knew that he couldn't hide the truth forever. He had been holding it in for only a few weeks and still—the guilt he felt now was as strong as the day it all happened.

As quietly as he could, he tossed the covers aside and stood up from off of his springy mattress, trudging to his closet to grab a shirt to wear as he was still bare-chested. As he looked through his seemingly endless amount of shirts, he continued to ponder about his situation.

"What the hell is wrong with me?"