~1

Korey

"Are you nervous about going back and seeing everyone for the first time in so long?" La' Ray asked probably to me due to the uncertain look on my face.

"Of course not, it's just some old faces I am connecting with. I miss my family so much it's crazy, nervous though no not at all." I down right lied to her about my emotions though. I was beyond nervous. What if everything was different from the life I once knew? I have not been home in years, everything could be beyond messed up and I never knew until now.

"I'm gonna miss you so damn much, in these short four years we spent together you've grown to become not only my roommate since Freshman year but my sister from another mister." She spoke to me causing my mind to ease up a bit.

"Awh La' Ray you're gonna make me cry man. You know I look at you as another sister as well. We lived through finals together and three long summers as well. I was randomly placed with the best possible roommate there is." I spoke as I went in for a hug. We hugged for what felt like forever.

"Korey you promise to visit soon right?" La' Ray asked me as we leaned out of the hug.

"Ray you know I will. Who else is going to keep me sane while I am back there!" I asked her as we both started laughing.

"I'm gonna call you everyday, and make sure you call me tonight after you get subtle in and all." She spoke to me with a serious tone meaning I could not forget about that call tonight.

"Of course, I know my mom is going to throw me a surprise party, have to let you know how that goes." I spoke to her validating that I would call her when I touched down.

"You scared to see Ron?" She asked changing the subject.

"What? Of course not." The question through me off causing me to lie but due to the look on Ray's face I knew she knew I was lying. I could never get anything past this girl honestly, time to be honest. "Is it obvious?" I asked with a sigh. Lord knows that reconnection is the reason I am this nervous to even go back. Little to no contact for four years and now I am going to see him.

"Yes it is, you gotta get it together on that plane girl. You know my saying, 'never let a nigga see you sweat.' Keep that in mind when you see him, shit you acting like he's Chris Brown or something but I also know that connection has always been the closest bond you've had with any man. You can't let him see you sweat though, he'll know he'll be off the hook that easily. Let that pain you felt these last few years be felt in those first few weeks you're back. No contact nothing, give him the cold shoulder." She spoke to me making me remember the reason there was no contact between us for so long, him. Ron stopped talking to me because I left, when I tried to speak to him a few times after that it was always a failed mission. I cannot let him off that easily if he is intending on trying to get back together, it is not fair to me and my feelings.

"Ray you know exactly what to say when it needs to be said man! Thanks for literally everything you've done for me. Give mom another kiss for me and tell her I can't wait to see her again. I'm gonna miss you both so much! You guys were a home away from home for me. I would of never made it through college without you La'ray honestly." I spoke tearing up. Ray and I grew extremely close over these past four years due to me living with them during the holiday and summer breaks. I knew going home and leaving again would be to hard for me personally, I decided to leave even though it broke my mom's heart.

"I wouldn't of made it either. Kore why do you have to go? You can just come live with me and mom for a few months until we move out and get our place." She spoke to me in a half sincere voice. Ray knows I have to go back but I also know she hates to see me leave as I hate to leave her in this way. She has become my backbone, this is why it is so hard for me to say goodbye to her.

"I wish everything was that easy man. Just you and I and our men all under one roof living happily ever after." I spoke causing us both to laugh at the ridiculous comment. "I'm gonna make sure visit and call everyday. You gotta come visit me too, my mom can't wait to finally meet you."

"Of course I will, I can't wait to meet everyone and see your adorable little brother finally." She spoke with a smirk because my brother thinks she is just so cute. He is planning on marrying her despite being a Senior in high school still and Ray going into graduate school as of next semester.

"HA-HA you're so funny!" I spoke in a sarcastic voice at her comment.

"You know I am just playing girl." She spoke to me in a laugh. "You better get going though. You're flight takes off in a few hours." She spoke to me making me remember that I am starting to cut it close and this Uber will be outside any minute now.

"Yeah almost forgot messing with you." I spoke in a joking panic. I gave her a hug and grabbed the few suitcases of clothes I had. Everything had been packed up and mailed earlier in the week, these were the last of the things I had in my apartment. "I love you lots!" I spoke starting to grab all of my bags.

"Love you more!" We hugged each other and stayed there for what felt like forever. She is the one person that could have persuaded to me to stay honestly, I am going to really miss Ray.

After we finally let go of the embrace I started to grab all my things. I got a text and call saying my Uber was outside, right on time. I went outside to the Uber where the driver was nice enough to put all of my things in the trunk for me. It was a rather long drive as I lived forty five minutes away from the airport but the drive was bearable due to the music and conversation I had with the driver. It helped me take a lot off of my mind because I did not know what was to come when I got back home to Chicago.

I made it to the airport exactly forty-five minutes after my departure from my old apartment. The airport was beyond packed and very hot, but what else would you expect in a Alabama airport right. As I went through security check and everything else I needed to do men were always trying to catch my attention. I did not give them the time of day. I personally was never attracted to anyone besides Ron and one other man. I need a man who can understand me not only on a physical setting but as well as a mental setting. Someone who can fully connect with me in a way nobody could.

As I made my way to terminal I found myself drifting in the 'what if' thoughts again, I immediately thought about what Ray said. No man will ever get me out of my character again, once was enough. I went up to the line of people who were waiting to give their tickets to the lady checking tickets. There were a few people in front of me, I went to scrolling down my newsfeed on Instagram for maybe thirty seconds. The line had moved without me noticing. I must have been taking to long because the man behind me had rudely cleared his throat. I rolled my eyes and gave the lady my passport.

"Korey Ship, enjoy your flight." She spoke to me

"Thank you." I spoke smiling and went to loading the plane not even addressing the rude man behind me. I went to my seat which was a first class window seat. I was living the good life for this flight. Not going home for the breaks gave me a good purpose to save the money I made from my on campus job and the paid internship I did. I strapped up and looked out the window as we took off. This would be the last time I seen Louisiana a while.

My flight landed, as I was gathering my things to get off the same man who rudely cleared his throat at me had yet another thing to say to me.

"Today please miss. Some of us actually have things to do." He spoke in a rude tone. Me being a hot head, I had to keep my mouth closed or it could result in me being permanently banned from the Delta airlines altogether. I continued to gather my things, even slower than before causing him to continue to say things. I toned him out and focused on the task at hand. As I rolled off the plane he passed me making sounds under his voice, I could careless though. I went to get the rest of my bags from bag return station in the airport. After gathering my bags I went to the place my mom told me to meet her at. Here goes nothing I guess.

Like, Share, Comment .