1 ➳ you think she's pretty, don't you?

Dedicated to: fairysums , rqseystars , kaylazieglando , kinkykenzie and Jenziendgame <3

✰ 𝐉𝐎𝐇𝐍𝐍𝐘 𝐎𝐑𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐎 ✰

As the sun rapidly started falling down the sky, painting a picturesque scene over the city, I walked. I walked through the throngs of people streaming at me from all directions, I walked across roads and footpaths after waiting at traffic lights, and I walked between the skyscrapers that slowly emptied out more and more people; people who were ready to go home.

Even though it is approaching nighttime, newspaper vendors still yell out the latest headlines, Starbucks is still doing a steady trade selling people coffee, and buskers line the street corners, filling the streets with their beautiful voices. It is my most favorite part of the day. I get to relax, calm the workday jitters with a walk and a train ride, and just observe.

As I reach the train station and stand at the top of the steps, I look left and right, searching the crowd for a familiar face. After a while I spot my younger sister Lauren, curled up on a bench seat with a book cradled in her hands; absolutely oblivious to the world around her. Smiling a little to myself at her antics, I head down the steps towards her, calling out her name.

"Lauren!" I yell out, waving.

She looks up, confused at first- but when she recognizes who I am she smiles kindly and waves back, stuffing her book in her bag.

"Hey." She greets when I am closer.

"Hey. How was your day?" I ask. We start to wander to the train station we arrive to and depart from daily.

"Good. I helped a really nice couple find their dream home. It was really cute. How was yours?"

"Same old, same old." I smile wistfully. "Gave screaming babies their shots, referred kids to the hospital, prescribed some medicine... fun times."

Lauren wrinkles her nose. "Sounds like it."

I laugh.

Packing up her bag, she stands, and we walk slowly over to the right train, making more small talk as we go. When we arrive, I scan my card and walk to our usual seats. It's quite crowded already, so we were lucky to get to sit down.

As per our custom, Lauren watches what's happening out the opposite window and I put in my airpods and start listening to music. The world seems to drift away, and after the busy day I've had, I start to let all of my tension go.

That's until some screaming baby enters the train on the next stop.

Lauren subtly leans forward to look at where the noise is coming from, and I sigh, my peace and quiet being interrupted. When she doesn't lean back in her seat after a while, I take an airpod out and look too. What I see surprises me, and I immediately feel bad for cursing the screaming baby a few seconds earlier.

A young woman is desperately trying to console a very tiny but very loud baby, shifting her weight from side to side and rocking the bundle. From my own knowledge, the baby looks to be young- only a couple weeks old- and my brain whirrs. If it's that young of a baby, they probably just want to be changed or fed, and if the woman is in public, she won't want to do either of those things. Another young girl that looks to be about five (and obviously is her daughter, as they look exactly alike) holds onto her elbow, trying to hold her Mother's attention by chattering away but failing desperately.