"Now at the End..."

Castor was tired of the humidity of this moon.  Not to mention, three squads of troopers have already gone missing, with their bloody and shredded armor showing up the next day.  He blamed the native Ewoks, a small primitive species of primates that seemed to pass through checkpoints with ease.  Castor turned around to see an grey uniformed officer approach him.

"Commander, Lord Vader wishes you presence at Research Station 9.  Apparently, he's received word that General Luke Skywalker is surrendering himself," the officer said as Castor nodded and climbed on a speeder bike and sped on to his destination.  Vader was standing on a balcony waiting for him.

"Commander, when you can, come with me," Vader said as he turned and went back in the base.  Castor sprinted in after him and followed.

"My Lord, I heard that you've been contacted by General Skywalker?" Castor said as he primed his rifle.

"Yes.  The Emperor wishes us to escort him to his presence.  I sense he will not resist, so you may put away your weapon," Vader said.

As the reached a parked AT-AT, Vader approached an officer and his squad who were escorting Luke Skywalker.  Vader nodded at the officer.  "Leave us.  I will summon you when I need you," he said.  Vader held a lightsaber and ignited it, its emerald green blade piercing the night.  "I see you have constructed a new lightsaber.  Your skills are now complete," Vader said as he deactivated the weapon.

"I know there's still good in you, father," Luke said.

"I see you have embraced the truth then," Vader said.

"I believe you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father," Luke said.

Vader shook Luke's lightsaber hilt at him.  "That name no longer has any meaning for me."

"Father, you don't have to do this anymore.  We can go away, and you can be free," Luke pleaded.

"It is too late for me, my son.  You don't know the power of the Dark Side.  I must obey my master," Vader said as the officer and his troops returned.

Luke sighed painfully.  "Then my father is truly dead."

-------------------------------------------------

As Vader and Castor escorted Luke before the Emperor, no words were spoken, but Castor nervously shifted as the turbolift doors opened.  He followed them into Palpatine's throne room.

Palpatine nodded.  "Welcome, young Skywalker.  I've been looking forward to completing your training.  In time, you will call me 'Master'," Palpatine said with a chuckle.  Vader handed over Luke's lightsaber, which Palpatine looked over, fairly impressed with its construction.  "Ah, his lightsaber.  A Jedi's weapon."

"I'll never turn to the Dark Side.  You won't seduce me as you did my father," Luke said.

Palpatine pointed out the window into space.  Luke saw the Rebel fleet, but he also saw a hidden Imperial war fleet ready for an ambush.  "Your fleet is doomed.  All hope is lost.  All your friends are going to die," Palpatine said as he felt anger rise in Luke, who looked at his lightsaber next to Palpatine's arm.  "Yes.  I can feel your anger.  Now, strike me down with all of your hatred, and your journey to the Dark Side will be complet.  It is your destiny," Palpatine said as Luke summoned his weapon and ignited it.

Luke swung his lightsaber at Palpatine, but it was blocked by Vader's.  They backed away and continued their duel, Vader getting the upper hand.  Luke Force pushed him down a staircase.

Vader got up and walked back up.  "Obi-Wan has taught you well."

"I will not fight you, Father," Luke said as he deactivated his weapon.

Vader circled him.  "It was unwise to lower your defences," the Dark Lord said as he swung his lightsaber at Luke.  Luke dodged the attack and backflipped onto a walkway in the rafters.

Luke looked at the looming figure beneath him with curiosity.  "Your thoughts betray you.  I feel the good in you, the conflict."

"There is no conflict," Vader responded firmly.  Vader drew his arm back and hurled his lightsaber at the supports for the walkway, sending Luke tumbling below.  Vader briskly walked below to confront him.  Castor stood by, trying to make out what was said, but he couldn't make it out.  Suddenly, lightsaber clash was heard as Vader swiftly came back, guarding against a onslaught of crushing attacks from Luke, who beat Vader into a corner against a railing and chopped Vader's cybernetic right hand off.  Vader fell to the ground, his respirator broken and him desperately trying to breath.

Palpatine cackle maniacally as he walked down to the duo.  "Good, good.  You hate has made you powerful.  Now, fulfill your destiny and take your father's place at my side."

Luke looked at his hand and at Vader's.  He threw his weapon aside.  "Never.  I never turn to the Dark Side.  I'm a Jedi, like my father before me."

Palpatine, greatly displeased, snarled.  "So be it, Jedi.  If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed!" Palpatine said as bolts of lightning shot from his fingertips, sending Luke to the floor.  Vader struggled to his feet and stood behind Palpatine.  "Young fool.  Only now, at the end do you understand.  You will pay the price for your lack of vision!" Palpatine shrieked as he struck the young Jedi with more lightning.  Vader looked at his son scream in pain.  Palpatine stopped.  "Now, young Skywalker, you will die."  Palpatine sent the full power of his lightning at Luke, sending him into convulsions.

Vader looked down at his son, his only son.  Then he looked at Palpatine.  The object of his hatred for twenty years.   The reason Padme had died, the reason he now wore this armor.  He looked at Luke one last time.  He knew he had to win this.  Victory at any cost.  He used the Force to dial up all the power he could to his suit to offer the most protection possible.  He lunged at Palpatine and held him overhead and slowly carried him away from Luke.  The lightning from the Emperor struck Vader with such power it was blinding.  At last, he reached a opening to the reactor shaft the the core and threw the Sith to his end far below.  Vader fell back and tried to get to his feet, but they weren't functioning due to the energy that had struck them.  Luke ran to his side, followed by Castor, who pulled him over his shoulder.  Luke led the way to the hanger, followed by Castor and the dying Vader.

-------------------------------------------------

As they reached a shuttle, Castor laid Vader down on the ramp.  Vader breathed shallow breaths.  "Luke, help me take this mask off," Vader said.

"But you'll die," Luke said.

"Nothing can stop that now.  Commander Durk will confirm that.  I need to look on you with my own eyes," Vader said, assuring his son.  Castor pointed at a latched under the neck guard of Vader's helmet.  Luke removed the cap then the mask itself.  The scarred face of Vader looked at Luke.  "Now, you must go.  But, I must be honest and tell you the whole truth."  Luke and Castor were both puzzled at this comment.  "I am your father, essentially.  I am a clone of Anakin Skywalker made by Palpatine when Anakin didn't turn to the Dark Side.  I truly believed that I was Anakin once.  Four years ago, I learned the truth and then I learned about you.  Not only was I nothing, but I had been lied to.  But when you were about to die, I felt the soul and presence of Anakin.  I knew what I had to do.  You were right about me, Luke.  Tell Leia that you were right," Vader said as he leaned his head back, breathing his last.

Castor got up to go to the nearest TIE fighter to escape the imminent destruction of the second Death Star.  "Commander, you don't have to fight for the Empire any more."  Castor turned to see Luke holding out his hand.  "The Empire is through.  Come away with me," Luke offered.  Castor looked at burning spacecraft in the hanger, then at Luke.

"What are we waiting for?  Plus, I've got some information that will eventually secure victory for the Rebellion."