REGRETS

Sanem was tearing into her mother's bread basket. The ravenous hunger was more than her normal healthy appetite. Can always said she over ate whenever she was nervous.

Sanem regretted leaving town the second the train left the station. But she convinced herself that she needed this time alone, she needed to figure things out. She had been there three days and no contact with Can was already driving her crazy. She went back home when she found out that Can had left.

Could she blame him?

Two weeks later and no news from him.

The first time Can had accused her of abandoning him, Sanem had all these reasons and justifications, but what was she to say now. She had left Can when he needed her. In her mind she was hurting the most, Sanem did feel like Can had abandoned her twice. How could he forget their great love?

A truck crashed into the car the two of you were in. He hit his head, almost died. He was in a coma for a month and woke up with two years of his life gone. And yet, you are the greatest victim.

"Don't you have anything nice or supportive to say? Why are you here anyway, Can's isn't here," Sanem yelled into the night air.

Emre and Leyla stood at the kitchen door staring at her, a worried frown on their faces.

"I was just..." What exactly was she supposed to say? She didn't want to risk them taking her back to the clinic. She decided to change the subject instead. "Did you hear from Can?"

Emre and Leyla joined her at the garden table. He played with the drink in his glass, the constant change of expressions on his face told Sanem that he knew something, but he didn't want to share.

"I don't know what to tell you," Emre said.

"What do you mean? It's a yes or no question. Hardly something to get a brain bleed over."

"Can is hurting. The last time this happened he disappeared without a trace, at least right now he is updating me about his whereabouts-,"

"And you think that if you tell me he'll stop contacting you?" Sanem didn't know that Can had reached this stage. She swallowed back the lump in her throat, forbidding her tears from falling. "I just want to talk to him."

"I know what I did to the two of you in the past was terrible, and that was a lesson in love and life for me."

"But?"

"But, I don't understand you Sanem. Against me, you were so protective of my brother, but you caused him the greatest pain. When it came to your book, you pushed him away because of how he felt about Yigit and turns out he was right. Now you left him because he can't remember the past he shared with you."

"Emre!" Leyla cut in.

"First it was your book and now it's his memories. You hurt him and expect it to be okay when you are ready to fix it. Sometimes it's too late to regret the decisions we make." Emre threw back his whiskey and stood up from the table. "I just want my brother to be happy. Right now between you and my mother- he's just dealing with a lot."

"Is he okay?" Sanem called after Emre's back.

"He's fine. He finished his assignment and will be back tomorrow," he turned and said to her.

"Assignment? For the agency?"

"No. Can went back to work. His photography work. He decided to split his time between the agency and his photography. He went to the Amazon because of the forest fires and he will be back in the morning."

Emre and Sanem shared a look in silence. Sanem could tell that he had more to say but as probably holding back because of her sister. "I can't begin to understand how you feel, having the man you've loved for two years remember nothing about your love story. But try and put yourself in his shoes. He's lost two years of his life. Can is confused, he doesn't know if he should be himself or the guy you wrote about in the book. Sanem, if the past is truly more important than your present and your future, maybe it's a good thing that the two of you broke up."

It was like whiplash. Emre's words hit their target and she was left in stunned silence. Was it so terrible that she wanted the man she loves to remember their journey together? Was she being unreasonable?

What was more important, Can or their shared memories of the past?