Chapter Eighteen- Tyler

Start from the beginning

"Tyler, I don't think so".

"Mom, please just think about it. Don't say no right now," he pleaded, reaching out and grabbing her hand. She just looked down at him, her lip pulled between her teeth. He wanted to tell her that she would break his heart if she told him he couldn't ever see Pierce again, because even if he was still figuring things out, it didn't change the fact that he was in love with the older man. He wanted to beg her to drive him over there right now to apologize for how he acted the night before, and how unfair it was of him to ignore all of Pierce's messages without considering the older boys feelings. Instead of saying any of these things, he just breathed out the word, "please," one last time.

She sighed and then moved forward to wrap and arm around his shoulders, pulling him into a hug. "I'll think about it," she offered. "As long as you promise to never sneak out of the house again. I've been worried sick ever since I got that call".

"I'm sorry," he said sincerely. "I wasn't really thinking. I was just so tired and couldn't stand to stare at my ceiling any longer". He didn't dare tell his mother that having sex with Pierce helped him sleep, because that seemed like too much information, and she probably would think he was lying anyways just to convince her to let him see the other man. "I'm sorry. It won't happen again".

"And no more lying to me about where your going or who you've been with".

"That too," Tyler grumbled, sitting back from he hug just as the door to his room opened. He was expecting it to be James, so he was surprised at the sight of his father in the doorway, smiling at the two of them warmly. "Dad?"

The situation with his father had always been a little strange. His parents were very traditional. His father worked to put food on the table, and his mother prepared said food and served it to them. It was her job to raise Tyler and make him into a good person, not his father's, and that had always been very clear in the outcomes of their relationship. Tyler was very close with his mother, and felt like he barely knew his father.

"Hey," his father greeted, moving slowly into the room, looking unsure of himself. "How are you feeling?"

"Sore," Tyler admitted, raising a hand to rub at the back of his head. "I have a headache too, and it's really bright in here".

His father's eyes shifted over to his mother then and she explained, "concussion".

"Ahh," the man voiced. He moved to stand beside the bed. "I've had my fair share of those".

"Really?" Tyler asked, eyebrows raising.

"Oh yeah," his father confirmed with a smile. "I was a skateboarder. Your mother remembers. That's why she started dating me in the first place". He winked at Tyler's mother then, who made a tsking noise, but grinned. It was strange to see them interact, but he always enjoyed when they did. Sometimes he forgot his parents actually liked one another with how little they spoke.

"He was very bad at it, that was the problem," his mother claimed, making his father full out laugh. Tyler wondered when the last time he'd heard that sound was. "Tyler, honey. You don't you get dressed. Your father is here to give us a ride home. He drove me here this morning so I didn't need to park the car".

Surprised, Tyler looked down at himself to see what he was wearing— a white hospital gown— and asked, "who undressed me in the first place?"

His mother moved his clothes from the table by the bed to his lap. "The nurse".

"Ah". His parents left the room to give him privacy, but a minute later the door was cracked open again and James slipped inside. Quickly, Tyler raised the gown up to cover himself, since he had dropped it immediately upon his parents exiting. "What the fuck, man?"