Chapter One.

"A Psychic named Magus Archon created a special facility underground for psychics. He established it so that Psychics could have a place to go to learn about their abilities, to learn how to control them and train with other psychics. He also discovered that on extremely rare occasions, a psychic's abilities extend to an element. Pyrokinetics and such."

I inhale the dry air of my classroom before continuing. "The facility, known as the Sanctuary, also has housing for psychics who no longer have a place to stay, for one reason or another. It's also there to keep psychics safe from those who would cause them harm or study them for the wrong reasons."

"There is a woman named Mihoshi Kuramitsu who owns a lab and a hospital. The hospital is for special cases; incurable diseases. She believes that Psychics could help cure her patients and save numerous lives at a rate that is faster than modern medicines. Unfortunately, she has an enemy who believes her research could be used to make weapons and is looking to use those with this psychic ability for a more malicious sort of profit ... if only he could control them. He believes that he can use Mihoshi to help him enslave psychics for his research."

I had my classmates hooked, I could see it in their expressions. They were hanging off my every word, the teacher slightly less so. "And your final statement?" He asked me dryly.

"My final question, given all that I've told you thus far would be along the lines of: So who are you?" I smiled and gave a mock bow as the class clapped enthusiastically.

There is a student named Saffron Paige, she is an inexperienced psychic with no way to truly train her ability other than to do research in an attempt to develop some sort of lead on Magus. Even then, it's unclear whether or not the information she's discovering is true or false.

I slip into my seat just as Mr. Leon asks for another volunteer. No one seems eager to go up, although I couldn't imagine why. My presentation was just for extra marks, we got to choose any topic we pleased. I just happened to pick one I had already researched relentlessly.

"No one? Well then, I suppose I'll have to choose-"

DRRING DRRING.

Saved by the bell. Well, not that I would've minded being asked to volunteer. Maybe next time I shouldn't volunteer or make my presentation so long?  I muse over the thought of creating a half-assed report while gathering my books.

My phone vibrates in my back pocket, I blow out a sigh as I balance my things in one arm and pull out my phone using the other.

Alec: Hey, I've got a new game. You free after school today?

Am I free after school today?... Let's see: Christmas break starts next week, finals would only start in January and I had just finished the last project I had.

So I replied with: My schedule is wide-open. What game?

Alec's reply came almost immediately.

Alec: I think your phone autocorrected "what time do you want me to come over" to "what game"? It's a surprise, and five. Parents left for Seattle. We'll order pizza, my treat.

I had to admit that appealed to my inner nerd a little bit. In total, I have three friends. All guys. Alec, Zane, and Sam. All guys, all hopelessly nerdy guys who would rather stay home and play Skyrim than date a girl. Believe me when I say I'm not exaggerating on that factoid.

For nerds they weren't bad looking, all verging close to the 6" range, all tan skin and white smiles. Fit and lean and tall. Yeah, they would have no trouble getting a girl. But they always seemed to have something else on their minds, like hacking into "Top Secret" government information files to help a "friend" continue her research. In fact, I'm fairly certain I could've been arrested for using the information I had in my latest presentation. At least everyone figured it was some descriptive fictitious tale.