Chapter 49: The Paper View

Start from the beginning

He wrote the word Regionals on the board. Though it was the first week of February, which meant there was still over a month until the competition, everything in glee club was starting to revolve around the competition.

"I just found out what this year's Regionals theme will be," he announced. "Drum roll please!" The kids slapped their own laps, except for Alex who was pestering Amity by slapping the top of her head. She scowled at him but he didn't stop until the drumming ceased completely and Will exclaimed, "Motown!"

"Shut up," Julie said without thinking. Jake smiled at her as though she was just too adorable and Kitty frowned instead.

"Lame!" she exclaimed. "Nobody listens to that music anymore."

"I totally do!" Julie responded, glaring at her.

"Me too," Ryder admitted with a shrug.

"I love Diana Ross!" Shana exclaimed.

Julie turned to her and cried, "Me too!" As the girls exchanged high-fives, Rory turned to Will.

"So how do the guys fit in?" he asked.

"Motown was a record label for men and women," Will responded. "Many of music's greatest went through Berry Gordy Jr.'s company and thank goodness they did."

"Diana Ross & The Supremes," Julie listed, "the Four Tops, the Jackson 5!"

"And that was just the Motown label," Will nodded. "The company opened up various other labels which then took on great acts like Marvin Gaye, The Temptations—"

"Stevie Wonder," Ryder said, looking at Kitty.

Kitty sighed and said, "Ok, so they had a few still relevant music acts but for the most part it just doesn't seem like something we can make hits out of ourselves. The audience will be bored."

"I sincerely doubt that," Amity told her. "And even if, it's all about tugging at the heart strings of the judges, right? I doubt they hate the theme if they've signed on for the gig."

"Ok, so what songs are we doing?" Alex asked.

Will smiled and said, "We have some time to figure that out."

"Wait, are we doing Motown week then?" Julie asked with excitement.

Will shook his head. "Not yet," he said. "I just wanted to let you all know that it was coming up. And also, to inform you of something. I have it in good authority that this year the judges will be looking closely at making the numbers authentic. That means getting not just the sound, but also the look."

"So we become black?" Kitty asked.

Bree and Shana glanced at each other as Will said, "No, not that authentic. But we need to make the audience feel like they've been transported back to the era. To do so, you yourselves have to be like the artists of Motown, who were historical for pushing boundaries, getting out of their safe zones, and taking risks. Anyway, we'll be working on that in the next couple of weeks. This week, the focus will be on getting used to something you're not used to. And what better way than with some..." He hesitated as he erased the board and wrote, Country.

"Yes!" Shana exclaimed. "Today just keeps getting better!"

***

"I'm not a big country music fan," Julie said as she walked with Stefan through the library. "I mean, sure I know a few songs here and there but it's not really my thing. But I have to suck it up and go with the theme. As captain, everyone will look to me to be a team player and—What are you doing?"