14 | Known as myself

Start from the beginning

I was dragging my way home from yet another totally failed audition, when my phone rang. It was my manager, she was my life saviour at times like this, but even her resources were slipping up. I only wanted to be in theatre plays, not movie and TV shows, for the time being. But after yet another failure, it was probably time to change that philosophy.

"It's Skye," I greeted.

"Skye, good to catch you," she said, like I was a very busy person who was hard to reach. She was so nice, "how did it go?" well, not so nice again. She was my manager after all. She wanted to make money just as much as I did.

"Like the last one, they are shit plays for the record, don't you have anything else?"

"Skye, I only got TV shows left... I have one that would be perfect for you, question is have you changed your philosophy?" she asked softly, yet sternly, it was my career that was on the line.

"Just give it to me, what is it?" I asked.

"It's a new show... do you know the movie 'the mortal instrument'?" she asked.

"Yes, it the one Jamie was in." My manager had told me to get it in with Jamie after she had found out that I knew him. She had said it would really kick start my career, but obviously I had refused. I didn't want to get known as Jamie Campbell Bowers girlfriend, that was just a sad way to get famous. I wanted to get known as Skye Delaney, with no one else's name in front of mine, thank you very much.

"Exactly, that's the one, there are auditions here in England, for the character Clary Fray. You fit the role to perfection physically, the question is can you pull her off?" she asked hopefully.

"Send me the details, and if I don't get it, call me a Shithead, because that's what I would be," then I hung up, my manager was the only person who did the 'no goodbye thing', she was just weird. She just rolled more or less like that, and rather I hung up on her, than the other way around.

Sure enough about 5 minutes later an e-mail ticked in on my phone with the time and place for the audition. It was in 2 hours, at 12.00 today. That's what I call I tight schedule. Soon after I received a piece I should do. It was the scene where Clary first talked to Jace, time to start prepping.

2 hours and 30 minutes later, I got out of the audition room. Normally, I would have one thought in my head, pity cake, but this time it was different. I actually had a feeling that it had gone pretty well. Or at least the man behind the desk had kept smiling at me.

I had been the last one in, so you would think the casting people would be pretty much done for. But they seemed somewhat pleased, or maybe I was just becoming delusional. After all there had been about what seemed like a billion girls to this audition. All either with coloured red hair or with the rare natural red hair like my own. Some of them were even way too young to ever get the role, like 13 years old or so, but they got a shot like everybody else and in the end me too.

I knew that some that some new casting people would come in, in a minute and start casting for the character Jace, and some guys were already sitting in the waiting room, patiently waiting for their turn.

"So let us get the first Jace in," said a woman just as I had closed the door and was about to turn. Which resulted in me almost head banging some guy's chest as he almost slammed into me in his rush to get in.

"Watch out, fuckhead!" I yelled after him as he disappeared into the audition room. Some guys just thought they own the fucking place. Look just because they bigger and stronger, doesn't mean you can run everybody who is slightly smaller down! Somebody should really tell them! I felt like I was fighting this war on my own. Everybody don't need to move for them! So what if I'm 5'3! I still don't have to move for you big guy! Go around me for fucking once!