Parallel Me Part 35

Dorothy's friend was waiting for us just inside the departure lounge, holding a large bouquet of flowers much to the surprise of Dorothy. Who went all girlish and shy, as he handed them to her and kissed her cheek.

"Here give me your case and ticket, I'll book us both in while you two have a chat," I said taking her luggage and documents and headed for the check-in desk. First-class book-in was empty, while the economy had quite a queue.

A man was holding up the queue begging the girl behind the counter for a seat on a Perth flight today because his wife back in Perth had gone into labour early, but the poor girl behind the desk hadn't one until Monday's midday flight. My ticket had just been exchanged for a boarding pass, and the lady serving me had picked up Dorothy's when I stopped her and asked.

"Would it be possible for the name on that ticket to be changed to another?"

"Yes I think so, but I'm not sure why you should ask?" She said looking at me befuddled.

"Excuse me, sir, could you come here, please," I asked the man at the economy desk, and when he reluctantly gave up his pleading and obliged me I asked.

"If you pay for an economy ticket for Monday's flight, I'll have your name put on this one." Holding up Dorothy's first-class ticket, which the girl at the counter commented on.

"But Sir this ticket is for first-class; won't the lady object to having an economy one instead?" She asked, looking at me as if I had lost my mind, and I looked at two figures talking happily, not far away blissfully unaware of the people around them.

"No not at all, now can you do as I ask or do we have to see someone higher?" I asked as the man got his wallet out to pay. Then I got a frowning look from Dorothy as I walked back to her with her luggage and a big beaming smile from her friend when I said.

"Your flight leaves at twelve Monday; I'll see you Tuesday, now get out of here and enjoy yourselves," I said herding them to the door, and watched them walk to the car park for his car.

I was in the club at seven, walking among the tables welcoming the people to the club. When Gary and his family came in and were being shown to their table. I joined them and complemented Kristy on her lovely dress, after welcoming them to the club.

Then sat with them until I shocked Gary's sister, Jenny, by accepting the microphone from a waiter, and moving to the dance floor singing my theme tune. 'Isn't this a lovely way to spend an evening', and welcomed all to enjoy the night's entertainment. Before surprising a young girl with a marriage proposal from her boyfriend.

Then I got Kirsty to sing at their table, before leading her out onto the floor to sing with me. The night went well, and I enjoyed it as did all there. I had another invite to Byford, to another one of Robert and Jenny's bar-b-q's the following Sunday.

The Sunday paper had a large spread on me, from that reporter who did a piece on my first night at the club. With a lot of my Navy background and with photos and one of the nights before with Kirsty singing. He had given me a new nickname as 'the matchmaker' as well as preasing me for promoting young talent.

Adrian and his boss the Greek wanted to tear up my contract, their new mega nightclub and entertainment complex. Being built at Burswood would be finished in six months time, the nightclub itself was more than twice the size of the present one.

They had also been in negotiations with channel nine, to televise an hour of my show. With the write up about me introducing young Kirty on my show, they wanted me to run talent shows Saturday afternoons. As well as now doing a four-hour floor show on the night, and they were offering me a king's ransom, in a five-year contract to keep me with them.

I had landed in Australia less than a month ago, since then I have had a whirlwind of a time. I had found my old girlfriend, and become a household name and an Australian icon. A singing entertainer with a growing fan base, and a promising future.

This was looking good and could be the start of a new life story down under.