Parallel Me 6

I was up and doing my training run, at six, and back at home before eight. I was having coffee and toast when Alice got up and wandered into the kitchen. Stretching and yawning as she rubbed her eyes, she dropped into the chair at the table and squinted at me asking.

"I wasn't drunk last night was I, I've got a thick head this morning I must have slept heavy. I think I need black coffee, or something, to clear my head. Roger said he's going to pop around, on his way back home but I don't know when." Alice said as I poured her coffee out, and put bread in the toaster.

"Talking of Roger where has he been this weekend, I'd have thought he would have been around to see you?" I asked as I placed her cup on the table and then went for her toast as it popped out.

"He went down to Plymouth Saturday when he locked up the shop. He went to see his dad, who's with his sister down there. Since his mum died two years ago, his dad has been ill so Roger took over the business. Roger lives in the flat over the shop, he's been telling me he wants to make it part of the shop. The big house they own is leased out, the lease runs out next year. Roger says he's taking the house off the market and will live in it himself."

I watched her drink her coffee and munch the toast, then followed her into the living room. She was walking backwards, as she continued to talk to me when her legs hit the settee and she sat in it.

"Rose said he's planning to ask me to marry him, that why he's telling me all his plans. Its nine-thirty JJ, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rose knocking on the door." As she said it, the doorbell rang.

"I bet that's Rose dam her, I said she'd be around," Alice said as she got off the settee and hurried to the door and answered it.

"Oh hello Jeanette I thought it was Rose, come on in." I heard Alice say, and I nipped into the kitchen.

"Where is he, I thought he'd be around yesterday to see me?" Jeanette said as she walked in the door. Shit, I thought should have done that yesterday morning, when I had time on my hands. I was busy with my weights, for two and a half hours when we got home. I'll get the sharp end of Jeanette's tongue, for not thinking of her first.

"My god you've shot up since I saw you last," Jeanette said as I came out of the kitchen, with an apron on and a knife in my hand.

"Sorry, Jeanette I've been busy, doing the housework and all that." Alice picked up a cushion and heaved it in my direction.

"Lying sod he's done nothing but lay about, and annoy me." Which in a way was true I suppose, I looked at Len for support. He was carrying the newest addition to the family, he just shook his head.

"Don't look at me old chum, with two women against you; you've no hope." I gave up and kissed Jeanette, then went to get her present off the sideboard.

"Not much Jeanette I'm sorry but didn't know what to get," I said as I gave her the parcel, I had bought for her in Singapore. She opened it and I saw her eyes light up, she was proud of her home so something for it was safe.

"Oh, it's beautiful, just what I want for the dining table." She unfolded the brightly collared silk tablecloth and kissed me again. Then with the matching eight napkins and placemats, she parcelled them up again. She was in the kitchen helping Alice, with the dinner preparations. While Lenard and I, played with the lovely Jennet and Keith.

"Is married life better than courting Len," I asked picking Keith up and making him laugh. Len looked around just to check where Jeanette was, then in a low voice said.

"Don't get me wrong JJ, I love Jeanette but we had more fun when we were courting." He looked like he was remembering when he stole a kiss outside the front door. Or when he and she fondled each other, or when he shagged her somewhere quiet. They had been married for about four years, Jennet was three and Keith was one. Jeanette had told mum no more babies, so it sounded like she had closed her legs on Len.