Chapter One - Like A Cloud

It was a typical morning for Shikamaru Nara. He woke up just before his alarm went off and it rang as soon as he got up.

Shikamaru: (Why do I even bother setting the alarm? This is such a drag.....)

As Shikamaru thought to himself, he heard banging on his door.

???: Shikamaru! It's time to get up!

Shikamaru: I'm coming! (What a drag.....)

Shikamaru got up from his bed and got dressed in his UA uniform. He decided to ditch the tie believing it to be too much of a hassle to deal with. After getting dressed, he went to the kitchen where his mother Yoshino Nara and his father Shikaku for breakfast.

Yoshino: Now I don't want to hear from the teachers about you falling asleep in class! This is UA Academy! You were lucky enough to get in on a recommendation! 

Shikaku: He'll be fine. Shikamaru's a smart kid. I'm sure he'll manage fine at UA.

Shikamaru said nothing as he ate. He didn't care for his mother's overbearing nature but he still loved her anyway. Suddenly, the doorbell rang. 

Yoshino: Huh. I wonder who that could be?

As Yoshino left the kitchen room, Shikamaru took the opportunity to have a private talk with his father.

Shikamaru: Hey Dad. 

Shikaku: What is it?

Shikamaru: What on earth made you marry someone like Mom? 

Shikaku: Hmm. That's a good question. Even someone like your Mom can be gentle from time to time. She has her moments. 

Shikamaru was annoyed at his father's answer. He felt it was more of a cop out than an actual answer.

Shikamaru: That's the answer? 

Shikaku simply nodded as he drank his coffee. As Shikamaru finished his breakfast, his mother called to him. 

Yoshino: Shikamaru! It's Ashido and Kirishima! 

When she said that, Shikamaru said his goodbyes to his parents and met with his childhood friends Mina Ashido and Eijiro Kirishima. Their outgoing personalities contrasted his easygoing personality. He sometimes wondered how he came to be friends with people like Mina and Kirishima, but he didn't mind even if it was bothersome.

Mina: I can't believe we're actually going to UA! This is so exciting!

Kirishima: We're totally gonna become the best Heroes around!

Shikamaru: Yeah yeah....

Mina: Oh come on Shikamaru! Aren't you even a little excited?! We're only going to one of the top Hero Schools in the country!

Kirishima: Not to mention you got in through recommendation! That's just as manly as taking the Entrance Exams! 

Shikamaru lets out a sigh.

Shikamaru: This is gonna be such a drag....

Mina: If you weren't going to be a Hero, what would you be?

That question piqued Shikamaru's interest. It was one of the few instances where he put some thought into an answer. His mind then fell on one of his favorite past times.

Shikamaru: I'd probably be a cloud. 

Kirishima: A cloud? Why a cloud? 

Shikamaru: They just float along, going wherever the breeze takes them. That's my style. I'm just not into putting effort into stuff. The only reason I decided to be a Pro Hero was so I could do what I want. Jeez....who knew it would be so much work?

As Shikamaru gave his answer, Mina and Kirishima wore confused looks on their faces. Despite being used to Shikamaru's way of thinking, they were confused by his answer.

Mina: Well that's a very.....Shikamaru answer.

Shikamaru: Really? A Shikamaru answer? 

Mina: Only you would say that. 

Kirishima: Well I was born to be a Hero! When I become a Pro, I'm gonna be the manliest Hero in all of Japan! 

Mina: That definitely sounds like you Kirishima! So Shikamaru, what class are you in?

Shikamaru: 1-A.

As Shikamaru said that, Mina began to squeal with excitement. She practically jumped on Shikamaru, annoying him.

Mina: Me too! Me too! This is so exciting!

Shikamaru: Why do you have to be like this?! This is such a drag....

Kirishima: Guess that makes three of us! I got into Class 1-A too! 

Immediately, Shikamaru grew even more annoyed.

Shikamaru: (Great. Now I'm in a class with Mina and Kirishima. Kirishima would've been easier to handle, but Mina? This is such a drag.....)

After a short walk, the three friends finally reached the gates to UA. Mina and Kirishima were in complete awe of the architecture. Shikamaru simply looked at the clouds. 

Shikamaru: (Man I really wish I was a cloud......)

At that point, Shikamaru was lost in thought. Seeing the clouds floating along the sky caused envy to be stirred in Shikamaru. He had no idea why he was here. Eventually, Mina called out to him. 

Mina: Hey Cloud Boy! Let's go! We don't want to be late! 

Shikamaru: Cloud Boy? Really? Of all the names you could've called me and you went with Cloud Boy? Sometimes I don't know why I bother.....

Mina lets out a chuckle as she teased Shikamaru. Despite knowing her for a long time, he never really got used to her cheerful and excitable personality. Her personality was a polar opposite to Shikamaru's. Despite this, he still calls her a friend. 

Mina: Come on Shikamaru!

Shikamaru: I'm coming! I'm coming! (Why am I doing this? This is such a drag....)

Seeing no other choice, Shikamaru followed Mina and Kirishima to UA. On this day, Shikamaru started his unlikely journey to become a Pro Hero. As he began the road to becoming a Hero, Shikamaru looked to the clouds and envied them. With his luck, he could just float along his time in UA like a cloud. But with Mina and Kirishima around, that seemed very unlikely.