17. Nothing Is Safe

Stark Mansion

It is almost dawn.

At the backyard,

The owner of the mansion sat on the wooden chair, his invention place beside him while thinking of a way how to activate his new gadget for the Shield agents. He was too distracted not noticing someone approaches him from behind. That is until when a sudden chill down on his spine causing him to reacts without thinking and grabbing anything that beside him to defend, which happens to be a hammer, swing it around to protect himself from the stranger.

Clank!

Making contact with something metal causing him to let go of the hammer as it flies away and crush down to the ground, his eyes widen in fear at the stranger stood before him. The figure is dark due to the dawn slowly become dark sky and his body frozen in horror.

What can he do now?

There's a possibility that this stranger is either a soldier, an assassin or a mutant.

He can't protect himself from either of those. He is an engineer. He creates the impossible but he is not physically strong like Layla. He doesn't have power. Preparing himself, crossing his arms to his face to embrace his soon-to-be-death fate, when he heard a familiar voice.

"That kind of action would hurt me someday, Howard."

That voice.

He immediately stood up from the ground, looking at the person in front of him in surprise yet speechless because it is none other than the goddess herself. "Layla!" He shouts happily at the sight of her and before he could hug her, he takes notice of her appearance.

Her clothes is wet... even her hair... everything... Did she walk or take a taxi to come here? "What happened to you, missy?" He asked, crossing his arms with a stern face.

"I... was swimming... to come here..?" She laughed nervously.

He sighed, rubbing his forehead not surprise by her strange action anymore, "Let me guess. You somehow dive in the middle of the ocean just to come home."

Dropped her head slightly and muttering, "I apologize for my reckless action."

She knew that she can't fool him. This is Howard Stark, he is a genius engineer prodigy. When she got a called from little Tony, she knew that Howard was tracking her location to make sure she is not in danger and she is still surprised by his genius methods and ways of finding her without asking anyone. Somehow, she wonders if his son, Tony, would someday become like him too?

What the famous phrase again...

Ah!

'Like father, like son.'

He scoffed, "Of course you are." Slowly turning his head to look at her, smile genuinely just this once, "At least you're back in one piece."