Pitch

The Next Day
Caitlin Snow's POV
I'm standing in a room with a paintbrush with no one around me. I take the paintbrush and dip it into the paint bucket filled with creme colored paint and begin to fill the walls. The walls were previously covered with dark red, a red not welcoming to the eyes.
I continue to spread the brush across the walls until they are all covered in their proper color. In the middle of one wall, crimson paint starts to slowly drip down. I walk over to the wall and touch the paint but cringe when it burns my skin.

"What the?" I quietly say to myself.

Then more of the red paint begins to drip from the walls replacing the white walls. The white fades turning all into the burning color and flows down. I begin to back away and my face becomes flushed with fear.
A burning sensation starts in my chest and when I look down there's red paint leaking from my heart out of my chest. I can smell the chemicals seeping out, as the fumes infuse with my bones. I can feel my body scorching from the inside out as the paint continues to pour from my chest.
I scream. I scream so loud but there's nothing audible. My voice has been taken away from me now and I'm sentenced to a life of silence and pain.  All I wanted to do was paint the walls but instead I'm given death. I just wanted to paint the walls.

My eyes shoot open and I gasp for air. When the air enters my lungs it doesn't feel like enough. It doesn't feel like there will ever be enough air to relax me. Breathing right now just feels like drinking from an empty water bottle. Impossible, useless, unsatisfactory.

"Are you okay?" The quiet voice of exhausted Barry asks.

"Yeah I'm fine. Just a nightmare." I reassure him. I must of accidentally woke him up.

"You sure? You sound like you might die."

Knowing Barry is awake makes my labored breathing come to a stop. "I'm just a little shocked but I'll be fine."

"Okay good. Well goodnight."

"Goodnight Barry."

He quickly falls back asleep unlike me. The time is 3:13 when I check it. A time I wish I wasn't up at because I would rather it be daylight. I stare at the ceiling with a beating chest trying to analyze my dream. What does it mean? Why could I feel the physical pain running through my physique?
I didn't sleep for the rest of the night. The entire capacity of my brain is taken up by that dream. The thought of falling asleep doesn't cross it.

6:13 a.m is when I decide to get out of bed. It's just a time that feels valid. I tiptoe to the kitchen, careful to not wakeup Barry. I take a glass and fill it up with water. I sit down and take a big drink of the water but it still feels like I'm drinking nothing. My eyes feel drooped and the weight under them is extraordinary.
It's still dark outside but the sun is beginning to rise. It's just barely showing from the horizon. I set down my glass and begin to make breakfast. I need a distraction.

"Pancakes. Pancakes just sound great." I say quietly to myself. I take everything I need and begin to make the pancakes. I cook about 5 of them and set them all on a big plate for Barry and I. I pick up the plate and turn around to take it to the table but I see something unexpected. My breathing becomes interrupted and my steps take a pause. Charlie is sitting at the table with one leg crossing while staring at me.

"What are you doing here?" I ask Charlie.

"I'm here to discuss today's plans." He says.

A sigh escapes me then I resume my walking and my breathing is relaxed. I set the pancakes down at the table then begin to set the table for Barry and I.

"So, what are we doing today?" I ask.

"There's this one guy I know, his name is Samuel. He's kinda a dick." Charlie tells me.