Rohit's academy

Rohit knew it had been coming when Jinks descended on his room with a purposeful expression on his face.

"How can you do this, Ro?"

"Jinks--this is not a thing you can be peacemaker in when you weren't there when it happened," said Rohit.

"What did happen so suddenly?" demanded Jinks.

Rohit looked away. "I don't remember word by word, but you must've known how Virat used to act all the time?'

"I know how Virat acts now. He's dying to make up with you."

"It's a bit late, don't you think?"

"You're just being a jerk," said Jinks in disgust. "Whatever happened happened years ago, and your best friend wants you back this much, and look at you!"

"He doesn't want me back. It's just another of his whims. Maybe he cared for you, Jinks, so you don't understand. He never lashed out at you like he did at me."

"He never cared for anyone more than you in our team, Rohit."

"Yeah, by yelling at me all the damn time ."

"Because that's what the two of you were like! You had a fair role in your fights too," said Jinks in exasperation.

"I don't want to have this conversation," said Rohit firmly.

"Rohit--"

"Jinks!"

"I'm going," said Jinks, sounding offended.

Rohit grabbed him to stop him from going. "It's nothing to do with you and me. You can't be mad at me for this!"

Jinks sighed. He knew he couldn't be mad at Rohit anyway.

"Are you going to the academy tomorrow morning?"

"Yes," said Rohit, accepting it as a topic change.

Jinks, however, swiftly messaged Virat to come to the academy the next morning.

The least he could do was to give poor Virat an extra opportunity to try what he was trying so hard.

____________

So on Thursday, Sam's birthday, Virat was making his way over to Rohit's academy.

Today he would tell Rohit everything, because in spite of what he had told Jinks about him not wanting Rohit to be friends again just because he felt sorry for him, he couldn't go back to London without mending his relation with him.

When he arrived at the academy, he saw Rohit surrounded by a group of small kids, and he was teaching them the straight drive. There were a few other trainers scattered over the large field, each in charge of different groups of kids.

One of the kids beside Rohit spotted him and yelled, "Virat Kohli!" He sounded like he could barely control his excitement.

Rohit looked up quickly and saw Virat walking towards them.

"Couldn't go back without seeing your academy, Rohit," said Virat, in reply to Rohit's enquiring look.

"Can I have your autograph please, sir?" cried one kid.

"I want to bowl to you," whined another.

"We want to bowl to both of you," demanded a third.