The beginning of the end

5 years ago...

One month after the WC 2019 ended, Virat and Rohit's viscous fight got out of hand in the dressing room one day. No one else had been present; no Jinks or Mahi bhai to calm them down, no Hardik or Jaddu to cheer them up, just the two of them.

It had started with a simple tiff--so simple that Virat had difficulty in recollecting it.

Rohit had said something, very mildly, about his and Virat's ODI rankings, and how they had not been able to justify it in any of the matches that mattered.

"Don't bring that up again, for God's sake," said Virat shortly.

"Why the hell not, Virat? Don't you feel responsible for all the bad stuff that has happened to us for the last few years?"

Rohit hadn't meant Virat by 'you', he hadn't meant to blame Virat at all, because he himself felt responsible too.

But Virat, for whom those failures were still obviously a sore point, flared up and said, "Your dismissal triggered the collapse, Rohit!"

Virat sounded fierce and accusing and a disbelieving Rohit recovered quickly and said vindictively, "Your captaincy ended it before it began."

Captaincy. Again.

"Captaincy now, is it? Remember 2011? Remember how you cried the day India won the World Cup? At least I won a World Cup, captain or not, and you keep in mind that you cried the India had her biggest dream in years come true!"

As Virat began to realise what he had said, he saw all the colour draining out of Rohit's face and knew that he had crossed a line he should never have.

Not after Rohit had sought comfort in him after his 2011 WC heartbreak--how could he have used that as a leverage against him?

But it was too late.

"I will if you keep in mind that India has lost every multinational tournament in the knockouts under you!"

Rohit sounded mad enough, but there was something very cold in his voice that said that this wasn't a normal fight, and then he turned and walked out of the dressing room, leaving a dazed Virat staring after him, furious and horrified.

_____________

Their team thought it was another of their regular fights; albeit one that was going on for a little longer than usual.... Only, it wasn't a normal fight.

The coldness and ill-feeling between Rohit and Virat scared both of them, and Rohit made up his mind to act before they truly drifted apart forever.

Virat had been talking to his sister about their mother having been slightly unwell for a few days, and just as he ended the call, worried and upset that he could not be with her then, Rohit entered his room.

"What do you want?" demanded Virat, not bothering to hide his annoyance.

Rohit's heart sank as he heard his tone.

Didn't Virat feel bad at all? How could he not? How could he be so indifferent?

"Look, Virat..." he began nervously. "I don't think we should--you know--stay like..."

Rohit stopped speaking, not knowing how to say it, and Virat wasn't helping at all, staring at him darkly.

It was enough to discourage anyone, but Rohit, because he loved Virat so much, still tried again.

"We can't let those stupid stuff..."

"Can you please be quick about it?" said Virat cuttingly.

Rohit dropped his eyes from Virat's silently.

Best friends were supposed to care for each other. Like Bhuvi and Hardik did. Like Kuldeep and Yuzi did. They looked out for each other; supported each other.

And Virat was always lashing out at him for no reason.

What was the good of having a 'best friend' like that?

Don't be stupid, Rohit told himself fiercely. It's just his temper. I can deal with it.

He made himself look up again, hoping to see at least a little bit of warmth or friendliness in his best friend's eyes--surely they had stayed mad at each other for long enough--even if the reason was a little serious...?

But he only saw hostility, and Virat asked tauntingly, "Are you going to say anything at all?"

Rohit had finally had enough.

"You know what, Virat, I had come to reconcile with you today, but it's clear that you're not interested. I'm bothering you so much, aren't I? Well, from now on, I won't."

As Rohit went away, his hands were shaking so much that he felt quite proud of having delivered his speech steadily.

He was glad he said that.

He was so glad.

______________

Virat failed to grasp how hurt Rohit actually was that time.

He didn't take Rohit's words seriously because they were always fighting anyway. He assumed Rohit was simply pissed of at him and would come around.

By the time he realised how badly mistaken he had been, their bond had broken beyond repair.