Reactions

Lance looked back at the five men who had crossed first.

'They probably cheated.' He thought.

"Wait." The word was mumbled under his breath before he quickly caught up to Keith.

"Hey, Keith." He called.

"Ya, want is it?" Keith said turning to face him.

"Did you trip or get pushed?"

"What does it matter?" His gaze shifted to the small crowd of winners. "They already won."

"Just trust me."

"I was pushed, by that jerk." He pointed to a large, cocky looking, guy in a sleeveless shirt.

Lance sought out the squinty-eyed commander and found him talking with some of his men.

"Excuse me, sir." Lance pushed his way forward. "Someone cheated."

"I saw," was all the commander said.

"What! That's not fair." Lance begin to protest before the commander loudly interrupted.

"Men!" He commanding voice cut through the chatter. "There have been reports of cheating."

All eyes were on him as he stated the situation. Turning toward the group that crossed first, he said "Just because I only have one eye doesn't mean I'm blind."

He pointed to guy that had pushed Keith. "You are disqualified," he said. "If you can't win honestly you can't be trusted. And you two," he pointed towards another to men. "you watched what happened and neither of you told me. Reporting part of the job." His hands were now behind his back as he finished. "You're disqualified as well."

With that he turned back towards his officers and began speaking with them.

The guys that had been disqualified were shooting glares at Lance, obviously thinking he had told the commander what happened.

Avoiding them entirely. Lance started walking towards Keith. "Hey," he said. "The jerk that pushed you was disqualified and so were some guys that didn't do anything about it."

"Thanks, but how does that help us?" Keith shrugged. "I doubt they were watching who came after."

"We could tell them," Lance suggested.

"They'd never believe us."

"They still need three more guys now don't they? It's worth a shot."

"Fine." Keith stuck his hands in his pockets and reluctantly followed.

As they walked toward the commander a soldier with a clip board called to them. "Hey, you two." Lance and Keith stopped. "The commander needs to talk to you."

He led them over to where he was expectantly waiting. "Congratulations boys," he said not sounding the least bit happy for them. "You made it. Tomorrow morning at sunrise be at the castle. That's when your training will begin."

With that he turned and walked away.

~*~

Lance hesitated at the front door of his house. He hadn't come back since he had argued with his parents a week ago.

"Please don't be mad. Please don't be mad," he wished quietly while raising his hand and knocking.

Nothing happened for a moment that seemed to long. Then footsteps could be heard coming down the hallway. The opened and Lance's little sister stood there.

The next few moments happened in a rush as his sister yelled for the family and they all came running. His mothers arms were around his neck in a hug. His little brother tackled his legs nearly making him fall. The rest of his family was quick to follow and he was soon completely surrounded by them.

Lance's worries of anger disappeared for a moment before he caught his fathers eye who was making his way to the group at a much slower speed then the rest of them had.

"Dad, I..." He cut off as he watched his dad leaned forward to join the family in their hug.

The moment ended all to soon as questions began exploding around him.
"Where were you?"
"What happened?"
"Why'd you leave?"
"What were you thinking?"

It all cleared up when his mother started talking though. "Are you okay?" The worry in her eyes was so loving that guilt tore at Lance again.

"Ya, Mama. I'm fine." He looked down at her.

"Then why'd you leave?" She seemed to be on the brink of tears.

"I'm so sorry." His head hung.

Once had finished answering their questions, he told them what he had been doing the last week. He pauses as he reached the end of explaining the obstacle course. He could just not tell them. "And . . . I got in. Tomorrow morning I report to the castle to start training.

His family started back with different reactions. His brother showed awe. His sister showed wonder. Other family members showed excitement and fear. His mother was visibly worried but his father's expression was unreadable.

~*~

Lance paced in his room unable to do much as sit down because of the growing anxieties inside him.

'What if his family said he couldn't go? What are they talking about? Me of course! But what are they saying? Should I try to hear? No they'd have my head!'

His parents had quickly sent everyone to bed before sitting at the table to talk with each other. They usually did this when something serious was going on. Lance just never imagined how nerve wracking it could be to be waiting on their approval. He hadn't waited for it last week before disappeared, but know it was all that mattered.

After what seemed like hours, Lance heard their footsteps coming up the stairs to his room. As they walked into his room, he realized once again how tired they looked. Guilt flared inside him as he thought of the worry he had caused his family.

"We've talked about" his dad began "and . . ."

"We've decided to let you become a royal guard. Just promise me you'll be safe." His mom finished wrapping her arms around his middle.

When she stepped back to look into his eyes Lance spoke. "I promise Mama. Thank you."

His mom only stepped back to allow her husband room to face their son. Placing a hand firmly on Lance's should he he whispered "I'm proud of you."

Lance swelled with those word. "However, your disobedience will have consequences."

"I understand." Lance answered looking him in the eye.

"Good, then get some sleep you have a big day tomorrow."

—————————
Okay so I'm going to just continue this story on its own. Not entirely sure what to call it yet. PLEASE  comment with any ideas you have. Thank you my readers. I never though this many people would actually read what I wrote so thank you so much especially to you that vote (looking at you Paladin_Plance)
Anyways I will continue to write short thingys on here so ya.

🌱♾