Part Three

Part Three

The bus finally came to a stop down the street from my house so I quickly made my way off after shoving my MP3 into my pocket. The letter that was in my bag seemed to just scream “Open me now Nate!!!” So I fumbled through my bag while walking down the street and finally felt the rough paper of the envelope and pulled it out. I took another look at the fancy writing and thought to myself, “Nobody at school knows how to write like that…even the teachers can’t do things this nicely…that I know of…” Curiosity finally getting the better of me I decided to open it and read it’s contents. 

On the inside was the same cursive handwriting that was almost so small that it would be illegible to anybody else that would read it…considering that I have very sharp eyes. At the beginning it started out as, “Dear Nathan,” Wow…nobody’s used my full name in forever…this is definitely something to keep reading when I get home…

After I gently folded it back up and slipped the envelope into my bag I began walking down the street again. On the left I could see the roof of a two-story, eggshell white, house…it’s mine. Well, to be more precise, it’s my mother’s and father’s but because…you know…it’s mine for now until I either die or move out and sell it. I walked fairly quickly up the drive and fumbled in my pocket for my key and finally felt the cool metal brush my fingertips and then dove back to retrieve it. After a heated battle with the lock, it finally allowed me access to my house, being the stubborn old piece of metal that it is. Note to self: get a new lock for the front door.

I came in and sat all my stuff on the table and then dove frantically and tried to find that envelope once again, which I did and started reading the beautiful handwriting.

Dear Nathan,

I have been watching you for quite some time and thought I might try to contact you and talk to you. Just in case you want to know who this is…I’m the girl who sat with you at lunch today. I know this letter sounds like I’m trying to stalk you, but I’m not, I promise you that. But like I said, I’ve been watching you, and I learned so much. You’re a very interesting man Nathan, and I want to get to know you better.

So, it was her…that’s what she wanted! Now I know why I’ve never seen this handwriting before! It’s because I’ve never noticed her before. Well, she wants to learn more about me? This is not something I get regularly. Most of the time it’s, “Oh Nate! Please go out with me! I promise I’ll never do you wrong!” and blah, blah, blah… They only want me for my image…I know that situation all too well… I shoved the letter back in its envelope and went to get myself something to eat. When I reached the cabinet all I saw was ramen… Oh well, I guess I’ll have the…beef ramen.

After downing my ramen, quite quickly I might add, I turned back to the letter and started thinking. Well, now do I know I can trust her? She seems so shy and frail that if I told her, she’d faint. Or maybe she’s already seen… If she has, I don’t know when. Maybe she’s watching me when I sleep…crap! That’s not good! Maybe she’s just a perv or something…like Raven. I think Raven’s gay or something. If the way he talks about me isn’t an indicator, I don’t know what is. Shit. I’m getting off track. After sitting there at my kitchen table, and thinking for a bit, I decided to give her a chance. Heck, she was pretty cute if I do say so myself. Man, that was perverted… 

I turned the water on to the perfect temperature and climbed into the shower. Maybe that would help me out with planning on how to talk to that girl tomorrow. As I let the warm water cascade down my body, I stood there directly under the showerhead. The pressure of the water beating down on my body felt like heaven. After quickly washing my hair I stood there for a little while longer, just to feel the water on me. “Mmm,” I mumbled, “maybe I could finally start trusting girls again. What do you think mom, dad?” After a few seconds I felt a cool tingling sensation on my cheek and on a small spot on my forehead. Then the feeling spread to around my neck and on my shoulders. A voice said, “I like that idea, honey. You should go ahead and try.” Mom...

The next day I woke up with the perfect plan in mind, and it’s something I haven’t done in forever. I’ll just be my absolute self, no more hiding myself from the world anymore. Now that someone wants to know me I am more than happy to oblige. For once, I’m actually in a good mood when I wake up. I threw on a black t-shirt under a white button-up dress shirt, a pair of dark jeans, and my black and gray tennis shoes. I took a moment to look at my ring, thinking, Mom, thanks so much. I’ll do my best, and I’ll be me. Then I slipped it on.