"B-but Silenus," Grover stammered. "It's the truth!"

'Silenus' didn't look like he wanted to talk more on the issue at hand, but he turned to the other elders to convene quietly with them. Chiron cantered up as well as he arrived, an honorary council member, if Judith remembered correctly. She briefly looked to where he'd emerged from the tree line and saw an unexpected face across the circle, clearly confused as to why such a large gathering was taking place in the woods. His face was screwed up in wonderment as he glanced around fleetingly, trying to figure out the event.

Judith nudged Annabeth next to her and nodded her head in his direction. He was too focused on Grover's hearing to notice their presence. From the letters and Iris-messages they'd sent to each other, it had been Percy's intention to stay home that summer to work on summer school. Obviously, something didn't go as planned.

As the council started to speak again, she decided to question the boy later. "Master Underwood, for six months — six months — we have been hearing these scandalous claims that you heard the wild god Pan speak," Silenus drawled.

  "But I did!"

"Impudence!" said the elder on his left.

"Now, Maron," Chiron said. "Patience."

"Patience, indeed!" Maron said. "I've had it up to my horns with this nonsense. As if the wild god would speak to ... to him."

Juniper huffed and took a step forward as if ready to throw hands with the old satyr, but Judith caught her green-tinted arm just in time. Clarisse noticed the action and spoke up quietly. "Wrong fight, girlie. Wait."

"Yeah, wait until there's no witnesses," Judith added in a joking manner and the tree nymph took her words seriously, only humoring the girl more.

"No," Annabeth scolded, sending a scalding look to her impulsive friend. "We are not fighting the elders."

"For six months," Silenus continued in the clearing, "we have indulged you, Master Underwood. We let you travel. We allowed you to keep your searcher's license. We waited for you to bring proof of your preposterous claim. And what have you found in six months of travel?"

"I just need more time," Grover pleaded.

"Nothing!" the elder in the middle chimed in. "You have found nothing."

"But, Leneus —"

Silenus raised his hand for silence. Chiron leaned in and said something to the satyrs, and most of them pulled away in distaste. They muttered and argued amongst themselves, but Chiron said one last thing and Silenus finally sighed with a reluctant nod.

"Master Underwood," Silenus announced, "we will give you one more chance."

Grover brightened. "Thank you!"

"One more week."

"What? But sir! That's impossible!"

"One more week, Master Underwood. And then, if you cannot prove your claims, it will be time for you to pursue another career. Something to suit your dramatic talents. Puppet theater, perhaps. Or tap dancing."