𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

"Fuck."

The heat bit my face in a feverish reign, making the occasional hiss jerk out of me whenever a wince or twitch braced my face. That loathful sting bloomed over my cheeks, meaning only one thing... Sunburn. Shit.

On the other hand of me struggling to leg it up the mountain, Jack effortlessly traveled up, belting out his cadence chants which the other cadets echoed in a uniform rhythm.

"Mama, mama, can't you see?"

"What the Army's done to me!"

I mumbled the words begrudgingly under my breath to push through the pain of this fucking journey.

"They put me in a barber's chair!"

"Spun me 'round, I had no hair!"

"I used to drive a Cadillac!"

"Now I'm marching with a pack!"

God! Do these words ever end? Stopping, I tried craning my neck back to spot Simon and beckon him to walk with me, forgetting that one of the twins were immediately behind me. It could have been Sam or Eric - Whoever it was rammed into my backside with an unexpecting grunt.

"Oh!" I exclaim in surprise as I was slightly knocked forward. Breaking away from the chant, I sheepishly offer an apologetic cringe. "Sorry!"

Sam or Eric scowled and shoved past my frame to head onward, his brother close behind. He parodied in the same, identical facial expression, and it's clear my feeble apology was declined.

"Damn," they cursed under their breaths in unison, unnecessarily offended for such an idle error. I purse my lips and filed back in line. A chance for solitude is overdue.

"I used to drive a Chevrolet!"

"Now I'm marchin' for my pay!"

Pausing again, I instead stepped aside rather than in place this time, taking note of what I did last time and how that went embarrassingly wrong. I slumped forward and heaved big breaths of air. The lumber fell from my arms and my hands found my knees. Luke scoped by coyly. A sneer carved itself on his face at my pathetic stance. My face fell, preparing for a typical bag full of sexist words.

"Too exhausting for you, princess?" He assumed, cocking his head to the side in taunting solemn. He moved in such a serpentine manner. I take on a defensive air, ready to retort with a fact check, but Roger immediately appeared by Luke's side.

"Keep it movin'," he flashed his eyes in a somewhat daring manner. They both strode past, exchanging snide remarks that I could hear.

"You'd think she'd have the stamina by now, if you know what I mean..."

"Prudes don't gain the stamina, Luke."

Gross. I rested my hands on my knees, still slouched forward and made an exasperated sound when they glanced back to snicker. I squint at the two. God, I hate teenage boys. I let out a sigh and mentally berated myself for being so foolish.