Never Letting Go

The fog was thick, fueling his panic. For once it wasn't coming from Oscar. He made a full turn, the clicking of his cane drowned out by all the other sounds of the battle. The chaos was overwhelming his senses,fueling his panic.

"Ruby!" He shouted, desperately trying to see her in the smoke.

Straining, he thought he heard something.

"RUBY!" As fast as he could, which he wished was much faster (stupid cane,) Oscar limped in that direction. Fear spiked through him, but not for his own life.

Where were Adrian, and Nova? Danna?

Most of all,

Ruby?

A growl came from besides him, and Oscar swept his cane without a second thought. The attacker toppled, their feet swept out from under them.

Oscar continued forward. "RUBY!"

"Oscar!" It was faint, but clearly her.

Heart beating frantically, he saw the outline of her running towards him. Her face was bloodied and bruised, but for all her saw it was shining like an angel. His heart lifted in hope. She was okay. They were going to make it through this.

The blast hit him before the noise.

A shout got caught in his throat as he was thrown to the ground. The concussive force paralyzed him as pain shocked like lightening. His view fogged over and the black of pain clouded..

He could feel the darkness beckoning to give way into infinity. An endless put where all his worries and pains would be dissolved.

It was so tempting.

An agonized scream rent the darkness. Through the crack in his eyes, he saw the vaugest ouline of a face. Desperately, he held on, focusing on the face. It cleared minimally, until he could make out the hazel of her eyes.

"Oscar!" He registered her scream, but it was so far away. He was struck by the urge to reach out, to hold her, to ease her cries- but his arms wouldn't cooperate.

Ruby.

The eternal darkness nudged him again, impatiently. Numbness came over him, and he felt like a drifting butterfly- floating.

Another cry pierced through him, and Ruby's hazel eyes came to him one last time. What was left of his feather light will resolved.

He wasn't leaving her.

Fighting the pull, he strained and pushed, clutching to the one strand of light that was her eyes. They were the only thing left as he fought.

There was no reprieve from the fight. It kept going, and he was only getting wearier.

Death was always there. Always fighting.

But so was his will to live.

For her.

~*~

"Do you want a bagel?"

Ruby, too tired to even startle, looked at the nurse wearily. The nurse held out the food imploringly. "You need to eat."

A pang hit her heart. Oscar loves bagels- especially with cream cheese and butter. Even though the combination should be disgusting.

Ruby nodded, blinking too quickly, and took the bagel with her free hand. The other was clutching Oscar's limp one desperately. Some hopeless consciousness wished and believed that if only she clutched tight enough, she could keep him alive and with her. It was irrational, she knew.