Preparation and Departure

Start from the beginning

He was speechless. But not for long. "All I had to tell you was that you needed to speak with the headmaster." He was standing now. "Perhaps you now have more than one topic to talk about." He sat down again and briefly gestured to the door before gluing his eyes back to his laptop. Gross.

I attended class for the first time in a while. My teachers would surely be overjoyed to see Seraphina enter the ranks of students again. They always loved having me in class. But the only reason behind that was the fact that I used to care. I used to care about what my grades were. I used to care what others thought of me. Now? I am lucky if I even get my assignments in on time. Doesn't matter though. They know me as the Seraphina that got 100 or more on everything. So much so, that they barely bothered to even read my essays, or grade my worksheets, or check my tests. Even if I know what I turn in is garbage, my grade won't reflect that.

I was halfway through a pop quiz in geometry when my name was called over the speakerphone.

"SERAPHINA PLEASE COME TO THE HEADMASTER'S OFFICE. SERAPHINA PLEASE COME TO THE HEADMASTER'S OFFICE. THANK YOU"

The intercom shut off with a beep. Why was it always so loud? With a quick swipe of my hand, I grab my bag and water bottle. Despite the utter dread filling my stomach and soul, my legs managed to move and take me through the winding halls.

By his office door is a number of chairs. All probably used for doing what I was doing now. Waiting. Luckily, it was not long until I heard him open the door and ask me to come in. I stood up, grabbed my belongings and walked into the room.

But my lungs failed me as I saw none other than John Doe sitting in one of the chairs.

Glaring, I tried to not act surprised and "calmly" made my way to the seat next to him. The door shut behind me, and the headmaster sat down in front of us.

John's POV

Seraphina was here now.

And here goes nothing.

"Now John...You say Seraphina knows now?"

I nod and gesture to her. "But she still won't tell me how she found out. As you might be wondering too."

Sera huffed and sunk farther down into her seat. Perfect.

"I..." She hesitated.

"Go on Sera. Nobody but us can hear you."

Her hesitation is apparent as she begins to speak, "Arlo...He...He was the one who initially told me. And it got me thinking. That was when I asked you about it," She gestures to me with a glint in her eye, "and he denied the fact. Then I saw him fight with his ability against all the royals....His fighting stance. I knew it too well. And..." She trails off, her eyes downcast and glazed over.

"Now John, many have confided in me about knowing your secret. Don't you think it's best to come out of hiding at this point? It does no good. Only makes you look like more of a liar."

Sera nodded.

I sighed. "Headmaster, I don't want the role of king though. I don't"

"Then don't throne yourself." The headmaster casts a sad look towards my ex-best friend.

"John you are dismissed. I can see this is not going to be very productive with her here."

I grabbed my bag and exited the room.

Gah...Why was I so stupid...

SERA POV

"Now onto more pressing matters. Your ability. Doc has informed me of NexGen. And you did decide to chase this opportunity, yes?"

I give a simple nod in response.

"Well, I read over it as well. I hope you scanned it thoroughly enough because I found a couple of small details that may or may not raise eyebrows and some struggles."

"Then let's hear them, although, I am very sure I know what I signed up for." I've decided that I absolutely hate this office.

"Specifically, the in-patient stay. 10 days does seem fairly short. Although, that may just be time to run tests. What if they find something. Hm? What if they wish to correct the mutations immediately? We would be looking at a few months out of the school at least. Now, I have no problem with you leaving the school in order to look after yourself, but...."

"But the large span of time ranges scares you."

"Not scare, more along the lines of...Concern."

"I see. But again, sir. I know what I have signed up for. I am no stranger to their company."

He observes for a minute.

"Alright. I am not here to make you doubt yourself, although I see I have not done that in the slightest." He stands, "Good luck there Sera...The car is out front."

Here goes nothing right?

My last chance at my powers.

Well...

Last LEGAL chance at my powers.

I dragged my luggage out without a second look at the school.