Chapter 23

I honestly hadn't thought he was real.

I know we'd been running from him for months. Sebastien even had the scars to prove of his existence, but there was something that just hadn't clicked until this point.

Until I saw him standing in front of me in the dead of night in Istanbul with Kutoboa's dead body at my feet and Sebastien standing petrified next to me, now I knew he was real.

"You put up a good fight, mwana, but I raised you in this world. You don't know anything I don't." Muuaji grinned bright and slow, his gaze never leaving Sebastien's.

Sebastien shook his head, his eyes as hard as stone. "Why the fuck do you care, Muuaji?"

Muuaji's face darkened, his eyes morphing into slits. The scar that stretched across his face scrunched up as he pinched his face. "You made a fool of me, boy."

"But you said it yourself, I'm just a boy. I'm of no threat to you or what you do. I haven't even touched the African continent in four years. I could've destroyed you, but I left you alone."

Muuaji laughed, but there was no joy in it. His laugh filled the air with menace, chilling any hope that either of us might have had. "You could have never destroyed me, Sebastien. I can't believe you're naive enough to even think that."

Sebastien scoffed. "You're stuck in fucking Tanzania, Muuaji. I'm in the real world. All I would have had to do was snap my fingers and the world would have been at your doorstep."

"You would have died trying. I would have seen what you were doing months in advance."

"You didn't know where I was for four entire years."

"I wasn't looking."

"Why'd you start?"

"I saw what you're doing."

For a split second, I felt Sebastien freeze, but then he was cool and confident again, as if it had never happened. "You have no idea what I'm doing."

"Listen, Sebastien, I didn't care that you left. You're one small boy. You broke the rules and you were punished. That was that. It irked me that I brought you up only for you to flee like a coward, but you must be self conceded to believe that I'd go to the ends of the Earth to find you. I don't care about you, but I care what you're doing now," Muuaji paused and looked directly at me. "With her."

With me?

Wait.

What?

"This has nothing to do with her and you know that."

"Well for some reason unbeknownst to me, you brought her into it. You're starting a war you won't be able to finish, Sebastien. I can't let you do this."

"This has nothing to do with you or Tanzania."

"It has everything to do with me, you foolish boy."

There was so much that I didn't know. What war was Sebastien supposedly waging?

"What do you want, Muuaji?"

"I want you to stop. It's simple really. I killed Kutoboa because he knew too much. With him gone you can end this. If not, I'll end you." He quickly dialed a phone number on his phone and gave Sebastien one last hard look. "You know what to do, boy. I don't want to hurt you, Sebastien. I actually like you once. But I'll do whatever I have to do to end what you've started." He started walking away, but turned back around with the same grin he had worn when he stepped out of the darkness. "Oh and sorry about the cab. It wasn't supposed to blow up. Bloody foreign cars, am I right?"

A dark black limo sped up to the hotel and Muuaji effortlessly slipped inside. The car disappeared into the never ending night, leaving Sebastien and I alone in the dark next to Kutoboa's body, with Muuaji's threat ringing in both of our ears.

————————————————
What war is Sebastien beginning to wage?

Who is it against?

Why does Muuaji want him to stop?

What does this have to do with Raegan?

Please don't forget to vote, comment, and share!