Gifted- A Mermish Tale

Greetings everybody... This is just a random stab in the dark with a story upload here.. This is a story I had written back in school about a year and a half ago.. This is the first time I havent uploaded a Fanfiction :) But this is just the beginning, a very short one.. But if you like it please comment, I'm open for ideas :)

***

Gifted

Prologue:

The Start

The sea was silent, nothing moved. The moons silver rays shined into the waves of the ocean illuminating the sea with a soft white glow. A small crab moved slightly stirring little dust then settled. All was silent once again. Nearby, two peophans, half horses cross fish wild as they were grazed on the seagrass. One was a mother and the one that accompanied her was her baby. The mother was eating as much as she could, eating the tender but delicious moonflower, (Which only bloomed as the moons rays hit the ocean floor). Her baby was keeping eye out, she knew her mother won't be paying any attention whatsoever.

Up above near the surface of the water a ravenous Draikphon loomed, circling. She was waiting for stray fish to swim into the light. So far she had only caught two measly tuna fish. She was starving; fish didn't satisfy her hunger when it was in a state as it was now. She also had a child and the thing needed to eat as much she did. She spied another tuna and she quickly went to gobble it up. She swam in another circle feeling ferociously furious. There was nothing here either, ever since the mer-people polluted the Draikphon hunting grounds killing all the food, all Draikphons were forced out into the open even in daylight, they never survived. The moons rays glowed brighter and this extra light made the seafloor visible to the Draikphon. Down below she spied the two peophans. She saw the large one and nearby a young one. Perfect! She smacked her jaws, the little one will do. The older peophans have hooves like diamonds one kick from those suckers could be lethal. She saw the moonflowers bloom and saw the older peophan move away further from her baby, this was the draik's chance, she looped around and swam down going down towards the baby peophan.

The mother peophan continued to eat unaware of the impending danger, she started to eat her fill and she lifted her head to look at her baby. She was fast asleep now but really they both had to get moving. Draikphons will be wandering around looking for food. With the Draik's out all the time it was dangerous. Winter was hitting in also, the peophans usually migrated to the south to the warm tropical waters. They had both fallen behind, her baby was born too early That was why.

She went to her child and she nudged her awake, "Meera" she crooned softly so she wouldn't startle her, "C'mon Meera get up we need to leave now".

"wha' Mother" whined Meera "I had only just gotten to sleep". She stopped and lifted her head her alarm system going haywire. Her mother noticed as well and she nudged her up "wait here" she turned for one second to sniff the seabed before she spun around to see her baby in the jaws of the fierce Draikphon. She lurched forward flailing her hooves and neighing furiously. She hit the Draik on the head and it let go of the baby who ran behind her.

The Draik was furious and black ink began to pour from her nostrils. She was ravenous and this peophan was not going to cheat her away from her food. She shook her head and went to attack again, she ducked the hard hooves ad opened her jaws wide. Having her first line of defence fail the peophan got foolish and flung down her tail to hit the Draik, but that had been the exact thing she had been hoping for. She caught the tail in her mouth and easily severed the flukes. She smelt fresh blood and adrenaline went shooting through her veins, the peophans were going to flee and she needed her strength for the anticipated chase.

"Hurry my child" panted the older peophan to Meera , "quickly, quickly". They began to run and she had to pound her stump of her tail to get even any distance between them and the Draik.

Meera herself struggled, she was bleeding and this drained her of what little strength she had. Her mother was desperate and she knew that Meera wouldn't be able to keep up any longer. She swam behind her daughter and pushed her forward and she saw a shelter of seaweed that would keep the child safe until she returned. She threw Meera into it as she swam past and she went down and smelt the water, the Draik wasn't far so she hastened the talk. "Keep safe" she murmured nuzzling her daughter, "you stay here until I return ok, you cover your eyes and ears Meera, keep them covered no matter what happens". Meera obediently did so and the mother took one glance to her child swearing she would return to her baby.

The enraged Draik broke over the peak and saw the injured peophan swimming to the surface, she surged forward and easily took over. She wheeled in front of her and she gave the peophan a toothy grin. The peophan said boldly, "you are a dreadful creature". The Draik shrugged and said in her raspy voice, "cant help what I am peophan, I need to eat just like you need to". She snapped her jaws "I will eat you now and then get your child later, she wont be hard to track down". "No" snarled the peophan quickly moving to the side the Draik blocked her and she laughed "oh seriously" she said, "I am not going to let you escape me, I need to eat and I am going to satisfy that need". She became serious, "NOW" she roared and she sprung forward.

The peophan laughed "cant you catch me"? she asked in mock innocence then she laughed again. As the Draik sprung again she dodged and she said loudly, "no wonder the merfolk call the Draik's sloths". She swam around again "and I'm injured".

The Draik flared her nostrils, how dare that peophan insult her, she was the fiercest predator in the entire ocean. She snarled then twisted and flipped towards the peophan who was caught off guard. She pierced the peophan throat and snapped the neck. She died instantly and the blood flowed into the Draik's mouth, she hauled the body away. Nothing was left except the crimson water that was left staining the glowing moonflowers.

***

Ok thats it for now, I will see if I can update again soon.. Much love