Just why did Father stake all in one throw like this? He was already of an advanced age, what could have driven him to attempt usurping the throne…..

Wu Xueyan suddenly stiffened in alarm. “Prepare the sedan, I want to make a trip to the Róng Wáng’s residence.”

She hurried out from the inner court, but was then held back by Tao Yunfeng.

“Step aside.” 

Tao Yunfeng did not move. “There’s no need to go, Yu-er is currently not in Jianzhou.”

Wu Queyan’s mind went blank for a moment, and there was a faint ringing sound her ears. “What do you mean, he’s not in Jianzhou. Where else would he be?” she gritted out reluctantly.

Tao Yunfeng stroked his beard as he said, “In another half a month, he will be reaching the city with the Róng Wáng and his troops. In this battle for supremacy, the winner is not the Emperor, nor is itfather-in-law, but the Róng Wáng.”

{T/N: tàishān dàrén (泰山大人) – ancient chinese term for father-in-law}

“The Róng Wáng? Isn’t the Róng Wáng currently engaged in the fight at the South China Sea? It hasn’t even been half a year……”

Tao Yunfeng chuckled softly, but it was uncertain at whom he was laughing at. “Do you still take him for the former Fifth Wángyé? Even the common folk writers know that Greater Ming’s Róng Wángyé conquers all that he sees and has ever been undefeated in battle. In my life, he is the only person I have ever made an error of judgement on…… the Jing clan is not fated to fall this time.”

Wu Xueyan’s entire body had gone rigid. Then she laughed bitterly, and said, “In other words, it is my Wu family that is destined to end.”

Tao Yunfeng was silent. Tao Ziyu has been in Jing Cheng’s grasp all this while. This scheme of Wu Xingde’s to usurp the throne was nothing more than a poor joke. All his efforts would have been vain and accomplished nothing except to pave the way for Jing Cheng by giving Jing Cheng a fair and justifiable reason to lay claim to the throne. 

{T/N: Wu Xingde can’t win because he cannot lose his last living heir. He acted while JC was away because he thought TZY was still safe in the city. But because TZY had left long ago with JC, WXD was doomed to fail from the moment he rebelled. Since he has already tossed out the Emperor and the Crown Prince, he has pretty much laid a red carpet to the throne for JC, without JC having to dirty his own hands.}

Wu Xueyan’s face was white as she chewed on her lower lip. “The last time Yu-er came back, he seemed happy and was in high spirits and told me that the Róng Wángyé treats him very well. Could that affection also have been faked? Was it  all just a ploy to fool us?”

{T/N: 回门 (huí mén) – first return of the bride to her parental home}

Tao Yunfeng pulled her into his arms, and comfortingly patted her on the back. “How could someone like the Róng Wáng have been sincere? I’m afraid that Yu-er had to have been really stupid to believe it.” 

{T/N: Dude’s just adding salt to his wife’s wounds, lol.}

Stupid? So in his eyes, to believe that one’s own Fūjūn loves you is considered stupid.