"I found out... tracks" he panted. I reached down and tugged a full flask of water from my pack, handing it to Halbarad. He took a deep draught, and it seemed to calm his breathing and ease the redness in his grey-bearded face. "Thank you, my lady". He bowed, calmer, and turned back to Aragorn. "They are orcs and wargs, as the lady first thought."

"Surely the boots are far too big, not to mention how well-made the soles looked". I commented, concerned. Halbarad lowered his voice to almost a whisper and we leaned into him.

"At first, I thought the same. However, what I have just witnessed says otherwise. They're huge, Aragorn, the largest I have ever seen. Their boots, as your friend says, are well made, as are their clothes and, most alarmingly, their weapons."

"A new breed?" Legolas questioned.

"Perhaps" sighed the ranger. "Or maybe even a new race. Some look more like goblins than orcs. Some even look a little like men, though mutilated and inhuman. They are above man height, some of them. I daresay many could rip a man in half with a single stroke. Sorry", the ranger added quickly, casting half a glance towards me. I barely restrained from rolling my eyes.

"You do not need to shield me from your words. I know better than many what evil can do".

"Oh. Sorry", he muttered again, abashed.

"How many were there?" Aragorn questioned urgently, bringing Halbarad back to the matter in hand. "Where were they going?"

"Thousands" said a new voice. The four of us turned, startled, and saw the sons of Elrond standing behind us, their faces as grim as the mortal man they'd followed. "I think this may be the answer to our question of who has been killing the Dúnedain and their allies. We suspect they are dividing into legions and spreading throughout the west. Some are going towards your homelands."

"My sister is up there, my niece and nephews" Halbarad almost growled.

"We will not leave our people undefended." Aragorn muttered. 

"This proves the danger that has been growing in my mind. The Enemy's power grows almost by the day." I said to Aragorn. "Your people must defy him, or risk the utter ruin of the west lands."

"Indeed, but there are few of us left now." Aragorn bit his lip. I squeezed his shoulder. 

"One Dúnadan is worth ten lesser men. You will hold out, dear friend." 

Aragorn squared his shoulders and nodded determinedly at my words of comfort. "My father will want you home, Nesseldë", Elladan said quietly, inturrupting my growing sense of purpose.  I didn't answer him, looking for a moment upon the ranger I had come to see almost as family, and the kin he wished to protect. Aragorn's forehead creased almost imperceptibly. I wondered whether he knew what I was considering, but the small change of expression passed within a second, and he turned to speak a few rushed instructions to Halbarad

"Even if you're thinking of leaving Rivendell, there are things I know you will want to take", Elladan continued, reading into my silence after a moment.

"You could get hurt" Legolas said, seemingly unable to stop the worry on his face.

"I know" I muttered, but at that moment, Aragorn turned back to us.

"I have to go back now with all speed and collect my things" he told Legolas. "I cannot sit idly in peace while my people are in peril". Legolas nodded, his jaw tightening, and addressed the man gravely.

"I will go with you."

Aragorn spared me a glance at Legolas' declaration. "You are under no obligation. If there are other people who need you, I can manage alone."