4. The Tunnel and the Bikers 2

Reigen stared at his Shishou in wonder. His fist was still in the air, where it had connected with the spirit's face. Mob rushed over, and cupped Reigen's cheeks, worriedly examining for any injuries.

14%

"Mob-Shishou, I'm fine, really! You saved me again, and it was SO COOL!"
"Reigen-San. I understand you're quite fascinated with the metaphysical, but you must be more careful."
"I know, I just... thought I could take him down, Y'know? You really gotta teach me more! Then I could actually-"
"Hi."

Mob and Reigen jumped, Mob glaring at the spirit with a blank stare.

He was smaller now, the double chin, thick purple lips, and bandana still there. He waved shyly.

"Sorry for attacking..." he said. "You must be pretty powerful, huh? Y'see, there's a REALLY evil spirit further into the tunnel, and he was making me attack you guys! I couldn't refuse without fear of being eaten!"

Mob's glare lessened, and his posture relaxed.

"So there's another?"
"Yeah! He's super powerful. I'm not sure if even YOU can beat him."

Suddenly a howling wind blew the through the tunnel. It sounded angry.

"AAAAA!" The small, blue spirit screamed, hiding behind Mob.

A pair of glowing white eyes and one glowing purple chasm for a mouth appeared in the darkness. Mob' s hair floated across his face, casting a shadow over his eyes. A bolt of bright purple blue esper energy shot out of his hand. The bolt handed on the spirit, scattering and traveling along the spirit's dark skin. The spirit screeched as it was compressed onto itself.

Then, with a pop, it vanished completely. The atmosphere felt lighter.

Reigen never got tired to seeing that. He couldn't wait to bring out his own esper abilities. He wondered what color his would be.

"Thank you! Thank you!" The blue spirit said, bowing fervently.

After a few minutes, it calmed down. It looked around, and it seemed.... sad. It was such a small specter of light in the dark tunnel, solitary and glowing all by itself.

"I suppose... it's time to move on to the afterlife." The spirit murmured.

He didn't seem like he wanted to go.

"Oh yeah, Mob-Shishou, who do you think these people are?" Reigen asked, holding up a battered, old black and white photograph. It was faded, but you could still clearly see the faces.

"Hey, Mr. spirit?" Reigen said. "Is this yours?"
The spirit glanced at the photo once. Then glanced again, and his eyes bulged out of his sockets in shock.
"Kid... where did you find this?"
"On the ground over there." Reigen said, pointing at a pile of wreckage near the wall.

The spirit tentatively took the photo into his small hands. He hugged it close as glowing blue tears ran down his face.

"You're a good kid." He said. "Thank you so much! My crew and I... we can finally move on."

There was a bright white glow of light, and Reigen swore he could see the blue spirit smiling with a bunch of other guys. Only he wasn't blue. Reigen swore he could hear the rowdy laugher as the spirits all hugged one another in a happy reunion.

Then they vanished, and the photo dropped to the ground. It was now nothing more than and old piece of scrap.

Reigen stares at the paper for a long time.

"Reigen-San, it's getting late. We should go down the mountain and get dinner."
"Yeah."

As they walked down the mountain, Reigen was silent.

"You know, you did well today." Mob said suddenly.
"What do you mean?! I literally did nothing!" Reigen said, walking faster so that he was three steps in front of Mob.

Mob stared at Reigen's retreating form.

'No,' Mob thought. 'You did the most important thing of all.'

He smiled, and walked up to his student.

"Do you want ramen?"

Reigen perked up.

"Heck yeah!"