Chapter 3| Training in Session

The next day in class, Kendall was reading a book about crests at her desk

The next day in class, Kendall was reading a book about crests at her desk. She was the first person in class. It never occurred to her that she would be even learning about crests, much less having one.

Feeling like someone was right next to her, Kendall looked up, seeing her classmate with a charming smile. "Good morning to you, beautiful."

Clsoing her eyes, Kendall thought she would finally be away from playboys. She dealt with that enough back at Ylisse. Not wanting to be rude, she smiled back. "Good morning, Sylvain. Did you sleep well?"

"I did, actually. Best rest I've had in a while."

"That's good to hear."

"What are you reading there?"

"I'm researching about crests since I have no clue what they are."

"Oh... I see." Sylvain shifted his eyes, his face dropping a little. Much to her confusion, Kendall arched an eyebrow. She got the impression that he didn't care much for crests.

"Good morning, Kendall. I hope Sylvain isn't bothering you too much." Ingrid walked over, eyeing Sylvain suspiciously.

Sylvain put his arms up in defense. "All I said was good morning to her."

"You forgot the part where you called me beautiful after that." Kendall saw this as an opportunity to tease him.

Sylvain winked at her. "That's because it's true." Her teasing didn't work, it totally backfired.

"So... How are you liking it at the Officer's Academy?" Ingrid asked.

Closing the book to read later, Kendall looked up at her two classmates. "I really like it here so far. Everyone has been so nice and welcoming. I didn't expect to make a lot of friends on my first day."

"We all get along for the most part. I heard from Felix that the two of you sparred last night."

"Oh... Yeah. I was just going to train on my own, but he came over and acknowledged my skills, and wanted to spar with me. I was taken aback, considering he said he wouldn't want to be friends with me earlier that day."

"He says things he doesn't mean a lot of times." Sylvain chimed in. "The two of you are totally friends now."

"You really think so?"

Sylvain placed his hands behind his head. "I know Felix well. We grew up together along with Ingrid here and his highness."

Kendall's face perked up. "You're all childhood friends? That's so cool! I grew up with a bunch of kids my age as well. A good handful are royalty, and the other half are commoners like me."

"Considering you came from such a faraway land, not to mention the connections you have, I bet you've done a lot."

"I did! For a short time, I was in this group with my friends to help protect villages. It was established by the current exalt of my homeland. It was pretty similar to a group my father was in years back called The Shepherds."