Chapter Three: House Hunting

Start from the beginning

"Oh. Well thank you, Mr. Sorting Hat? But before you get on with deciding my house, I do have one question." I told him in my head.

"Ask away my dear child, ask away." He responded.

"Do you have lice? I mean, lots of students put you on their heads and they could have had lice. Then the next thing you know, the lice jumps unto to you and then it could start nesting in other people's hair. I definitely do not want lice on my first day." I thought. The hat's chuckles sounded in my head.

"I am made of magic. Everything will repel off of me. Don't worry. Now we have to get on with your sorting. It is getting a bit long. Let's see, there is kindness, I see it in your mind. But you would waste away in Hufflepuff. You are smart, your intelligence is mighty but Ravenclaw is not the place to be either. Slytherin on the other hand, you are cunning yes, very. It would make your family very proud. I also see bravery and daring traits. Difficult to place yet I know just where you belong. I can see it all right here in your head." He explained to me. I grew nervous about the prospect.

"Better be, Gryffindor!" The hat yelled. I sighed, actually quite happy with the outcome, and took the hat off of my head.

"You better have not given me lice you know. Just because I like the house I'm in doesn't mean I won't be mad at you." I told the hat as I got up from the stool. The hat laughed again.

"Come visit me sometimes. You humor me." The hat said.

"Yeah, yeah. The only time I will visit you is if I get in trouble. Hopefully not to often." I said and walked off towards the table that was cheering with joy. My robes changed to red, the same colour as my new house. I look over to my family. Andromeda and Sirius gave me a smile but Bellatrix and Narcissa gave me a look of pure terror. I knew I would be hearing from my parents by morning. But for right now, I just laughed them off. I was in too good of spirits.

"Black, Bellatrix!" McGonagall called on the next name. Bellatrix was still glaring at me when she walked up to the stool.

"Slytherin!" The hat announced immediately after it was placed on her head. I don't even spare her a glance.

"Black, Narcissa!"

"Slytherin!" The hat called, it just took a moment longer to make it's decision than her sister.

"Black, Sirius!"

"Gryffindor!" The hat shouted and I cheered along with the rest of my house. Sirius came and sat next to me. More names were called and a few girls, including Mackenzie joined our house, they would be my new roommates. Just minutes after, James Potter, the kid from the train also joined us and took a seat beside Sirius. I could already tell, those to would become best mates.

The Sorting ceremony finished and the headmaster, Professor Dumbledore, gave us a bit of a welcoming speech and then suddenly food appeared on the tables. We dug in.

Once we were finished our first dinner a Hogwarts, a Gryffindor prefect led us to our dorms. We all stuck together as the prefect guided us to our common room. She explained a few life hacks for getting around throughout our time here. Half of the things that she told us, I didn't catch because I was to busy gaping at all of the paintings on the walls. At Grimmauld Place, we had lots of paintings, most of them were past family members, but here at Hogwarts, every inch of the stone walls were covered in fine oil paintings. I had just seen one of the Hogwarts ghosts when I bumped into someone. I looked up to see that I had bumped into the prefect. We had come to a stop in front of a rather large painting, of a rather large woman, in pale pink robes.

"Sorry, I wasn't watching where I was going." I apologized.

"That's okay. We have arrived at the common room. Now, our common room has a password, and she," The prefect gestured to the lady in the painting, "Won't let you in unless it's the correct one. So try not to forget it. Or stay with someone who can remember it." She said and turned towards the painting that was in front of us.

"Fortis." She spoke to the fat lady in the painting. The frame swung forward and revealed the Gryffindor Common Room. We all filed in through the thin passageway and into a fire lit common room, filled with mingling Gryffindor students.

"Girls dormitories are off the the right and the boys are to the left. It's best you guys get settled in now and go to bed. You have a big day ahead of you tomorrow." The prefect directed us to our dorms and shooed us up to bed. When I had climbed the stairs and walked into my dorm I saw that the house elves had brought up all of our things.

All the girls in my room started filing in and choosing their beds. I chose one that was more towards the bathroom but still close to the middle so that I could also see the window. Sitting on the bed that I had just claimed, I pulled off my robes and buttoned up my pajamas. I then folded up my robes and but then on the chair beside my bed, so they would be ready for the next day. I knew I had a few pairs but these ones weren't dirty yet.

"I'm so glad that we ended up in the same house. It's really nice to know someone already." Mackenzie said as she sat on the bed beside me. I smiled.

"I totally know how you feel. I'm just glad that I don't have to go through tomorrow all alone." I laughed.

"So true."

"I'm Marlene McKinnon." A girl with blonde hair and brown eyes introduced herself. She had a pretty speckle of freckles as well.

"Australe. Nice to meet you." I held out my hand for her to shake it. She took it and smiled.

"And I'm Mackenzie Sims."

Marlene seemed nice and I had already made a friend out of Mackenzie. I would hope all the other girls in our dorm would become friends with me as well. I should better introduce myself though, or I would never even begin a friendship.

"Hello. My name's Australe Black." I introduced myself and they gasped. Even Marlene and Mackenzie. I looked at them oddly.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"Well, it's just that your last name doesn't really belong here, you know." Mackenzie told me. Then I understood. I also felt really embarrassed and out of place, for the first time since I had been at Hogwarts. My last name, Black, was never in a house other than Slytherin. I was the first in probably over a century to be sorted somewhere else.

"Just because I'm a Black and my family thinks that pure bloods are better than anyone else, doesn't mean that I'm snobby and just like the rest of them." I told them with a glare.

"We didn't mean to offend you. I think that Mackenzie just meant that our families only knew that the Blacks were in Slytherin. Honestly, I really don't care what your last name is or your blood type. If you're a nice person, that's all that matters. " Marlene said to me and I agreed with her.

"Right, I'm sorry. I jumped to conclusions, before I should have. I guess I just thought that I had finally escaped my family and people were judging me wrongly." I apologized to the girls and they nodded, smiling.

"I'm Alice Prewett, by the way." The small girl with black hair that was styled in a pixie cut piped up. I nodded to her and told her that it was nice to meet her.

"Mary McDonald." The girl with gorgeous red hair said.

"Well, I'm Lily Evans and I didn't even know about all that stuff with your family. I was so excited when I got my letter because I didn't even know that witches and wizards existed!" The girl with bright red hair and emerald green eyes said with a grin.

"So you're a muggleborn?" Mary asked. Lily looked confused.

"Well, muggle is the term we use for people that don't have any magic in their blood. You are a muggleborn, because your parents don't have any magic, but you do." I explained to her. She nodded, processing the information.

"I guess I have a lot to learn. I already read a lot of my textbooks to try and find out more, and bought a few books but I guess I don't really know a lot about the 'life' of a witch or wizard." She told us and the rest of us shared a look.

We launched into a conversation about witches, wizards, Quidditch, spells and most importantly magic. By the time we were finished with all of our talking and explaining, it was already midnight and we would have to get up in six or seven hours. When we all looked at the time, we decided to try and get some sleep. I was so tired that as soon as my head hit the pillow I fell asleep. Tomorrow would be the start of a really fun adventure, and more importantly, an adventure away from my family and the pureblood craziness.

Oh if I only knew.