I hear the gun click and my head shoots up, Mrs. Quinn shrieking behind me and running forwards only to be held back by her husband. Belle keeps on crying out for me to stop but I avoid her stares and everything around me as the pen tip touched the paper. Uncle Alan begins edging close to me in anticipation, watching like a hawk to see me sign it. His eyes staring down at my hands and I scribbled my name then threw my hands up in defeat.

“Well done, Nathan now han-“ He got knocked back and the gun flew through the air, landing with a clatter to the floor. I kicked him hard in the ribs and punched him in the face then swiftly moved to catch Belle in my arms. I saw him stumble to the floor, wiping his bloody lip and groaning in pain from the impact of the kick. I pushed Belle to her parents and bent down to retrieve the gun. I weighed it in my hands and laughed under my breath, turning and aiming at my uncle. Without saying anything I leaned down, getting the keys from his pocket and tossing it to Caroline to set Belle free. I heard the rattling chains fall to the floor and I scrunched the papers in my hand, the gun tip touching his forehead.

“You’re an idiot. So many stupid plans to kill me and none worked. Why didn’t you just wander into my office and kill me? Would have saved time.”

He sighed and looked up, his eyes pleading for forgiveness. “Nathan, nephew, please, I’m sorry.” His hands quivered but I shake my head.

“I’m sorry too,” and I click the gun and he whimpers, apologising for things I didn’t even know about but probably something he did to my dad. I stepped back, not feeling particularly murderous anymore. I turned to see Belle, her head on her mother’s shoulder and her eyes sad and lost. I tried to smile but her blue eyes filled with panic and she called my name. The papers were yanked out of my hand and so was the gun as I took a hard blow to the head. I didn’t fall to the ground but my mind blanked out for a second and I stumbled back, seeing double, no triple of my Uncle grinning with the papers and gun directly at me. I cleared my head and stepped back to Caroline and the others. He shot the roof, sending broken bricks and ceiling tumbling down to the floor, plaster and dust billowing everywhere. Everyone cried out behind me and I turned to see four people all huddled together but one missing.

I faced my Uncle again who was erupting with joyous laughter. “I have the signed papers and the business is mine.” He screeched. “The Blake’s Co-operation is mine,” he said victoriously as he stumbled onto the ground, his knees hitting the floor and his eyes rolling back. Ruby stood over him, kicking him in the back and putting his neck into a scissor lock, choking him. She picked up the paper; kicking the gun under a table and she smiled fortuitously holding up the papers by the corner and extracting a lighter from her pocket. Why would she have a lighter? But is didn’t matter; the papers burned and crumpled, turning into nothing but black ashes on the floor, the acrid smell filling the room.

He was on his knees and quite suddenly Mr. Quinn appeared at his side, grabbing hold of him by his collar and punching him in the jaw; knocking him out cold.

Ruby happily dusted off her hands and stepped around the limp figure that was sprawled on the floor. I smiled at her then Caroline whooped behind me.

“Yay, well he’s knocked out.” She squeals.

“Yeah, because of me.” Ruby stepped in proudly.

“Nah, I think it’s because he’s old ands it was really Belle’s dad.” Caroline smirked, taunting Ruby further and folding her slender arms over her chest, but I caught Belle’s eyes.