CHAPTER 3 (Kai)

"What's taking him so long?" Baekhyun asks, pacing back and forth, twirling a small object in his hand.

"Give it a rest, brother," says the redhead, Chanyeol. "He's merely taking his time."

"None of us has taken this long," Baekhyun persists, throwing the object he's holding, his phone.

"Maybe he's lost," Luhan whispers, stopping the phone before it drops to the floor.

"Is that possible?" Sehun asks, staring at the phone suspended in the air.

"No," Chanyeol sighs. He stares intently at the phone. It bursts into flames within a fraction of a second.

The three Guardians aren't really surprised when they find themselves engulfed in darkness, the only light coming from the burning object.

"That was a good phone," Baekhyun hisses.

Sehun and Chanyeol laugh. The atmosphere turns cold. The wind shifts. The flame blazes into a shade of blue.

"Shall we play a game?" Sehun smiles darkly.

****

"But, Kai-ssi, I fell in love with you," a familiar voice whispers in my dream.

I open my eyes to find Kyungsoo leaning towards me, his form luminous, his face inches from mine, a taste of chocolate strong in my mouth. I can hear my heart pounding in my chest.

"What are you doing?" I ask nervously, blinking, unable to move.

Kyungsoo leans away from me, his face unreadable.

"I thought you were dead," he teases, tilting his head to the side.

"Funny," I grumble, bolting upright. I glance at the clock. Ten minutes pass twelve.

"Aren't you going back to sleep?" Kyungsoo asks as I move towards the door.

"And let you haunt me with nightmares?" I raise an eyebrow at him. He rolls his eyes at me. I laugh, slipping my sneakers on and putting on a coat. "Walk with me?"

"At this hour?" He frowns.

"Got a problem with that?" I ask, heading downstairs.

Kyungsoo follows me silently outside. The security, completely oblivious of Kyungsoo, is surprised to see me, but ask no question as we step out of the elevator.

The moon and stars are partially obscured by the clouds. But Kyungsoo's form casts enough light, illuminating my path just fine.

"You're like a walking streetlight," I comment as we round a corner.

"Behave," he warns, but a small smile shapes his lips.

We walk for a few seconds. Then I turn to him suddenly, raising my hands and forming claws.

"Ah!" I scream, hoping desperately to scare him.

I get a different reaction entirely. One I am not expecting.

Kyungsoo glares at me, his golden eyes flaring. For a second he looks really scary. I can feel hair standing on my arms, on my neck. I fall into silence, swallowing nervously, my heart drumming erratically.

His next reaction sets me off guard.

Kyungsoo covers his mouth, stifling his laughter. He bends down, shaking his head, his body rippling as he falls into a series of laughter.

"I must say, you were pretty scared," he manages to say.

I groan at him. "You should've seen your face, you were pretty scary."